Thread: Help with ZenGL

Help with ZenGL

Hi PGD-People,

I'm using ZenGL to make games & demos. I found on ZenGL library all the things I need to develop games on multi-arch and multi-os, the library works well and can be used to develop awesome 2D games with great perfomance. But this library currently is abandoned.

Currently library needs a manteinance to compile with new versions of Android NDK and FPC. So, I'm looking to maintain the library to be used with new android versions and future releases.

My questions are :

- Do I need a library change?
    - There is somebody want to contribute?
    - Somebody uses this library?

Thanks!

ZenGL is already 100% compatible with FPC/Lazarus. As far as modern Android/OpenGLES 2.0+ though, I think the only appropriate response is "hahaha, no." You would need to completely re-write ALL of the OpenGL rendering code in the entire library in order to get it running on modern Android devices (as ZenGL was written entirely with now-outdated fixed function desktop OpenGL functionality, which is not compatible with OpenGLES 2.0+)
    Last edited by Akira13; 09-06-2017 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
    ZenGL is already 100% compatible with FPC/Lazarus. As far as modern Android/OpenGLES 2.0+ though, I think the only appropriate response is "hahaha, no." You would need to completely re-write ALL of the OpenGL rendering code in the entire library in order to get it running on modern Android devices (as ZenGL was written entirely with now-outdated fixed function desktop OpenGL functionality, which is not compatible with OpenGLES 2.0+)
    Thanks for your response Akira. So what do you suggest? Drop ZenGL and go to another library/framework? Can you recommend me another?

ZenGL was written entirely with now-outdated fixed function desktop OpenGL functionality,
    AFAIK (I only browse sources for inspiration) ZenGL has immediate mode emulation layer on top of GLES 1 (glBegin & friends written in Pascal and writing to a buffer to be applied when glEnd is called).

Quote Originally Posted by Chebmaster View Post
    AFAIK (I only browse sources for inspiration) ZenGL has immediate mode emulation layer on top of GLES 1 (glBegin & friends written in Pascal and writing to a buffer to be applied when glEnd is called).
    Oh I know. My point was that it wasn't written with anything fully non-immediate mode (i.e. GLES 2.0+ or modern desktop OpenGL) in mind and has no capacity to support them.

That doesn't stop old programs using opengl from working on modern hardware, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by laggyluk View Post
    That doesn't stop old programs using opengl from working on modern hardware, does it?
    no, but Turrican seems to be interested in developing specifically for modern Android devices. ZenGL wasn't designed to do that.

no, but Turrican seems to be interested in developing specifically for modern Android devices. ZenGL wasn't designed to do that.

Yes and not. Interested to maintain the project, solve bugs and implement new functionalities.

ZenGL supports tga, png, jpg and pvr and these resources are loaded from files UC Browser SHAREit MX Player, memory and zip archives,and you can easily add support for new resource format.
    Last edited by NOUR; 18-01-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Hi, thanks for sharing this information it helps me a lot.

Last edited by davido; 30-04-2020 at 07:53 PM.