Thread: Update to this forum section

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Update to this forum section

Hi all,

Please can I ask that when you have ideas, feedback, issues etc. regarding the site, please post them here.

It is now configured to email me when there are new threads and new posts so aside from messaging me directly or emailing me, this is probably the quickest way to get admin attention, but please bear in mind you're unlikely to get an immediate response especially if I'm out working on customer sites.

Thanks
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
    Hi all,

Please can I ask that when you have ideas, feedback, issues etc. regarding the site, please post them here.

It is now configured to email me when there are new threads and new posts so aside from messaging me directly or emailing me, this is probably the quickest way to get admin attention, but please bear in mind you're unlikely to get an immediate response especially if I'm out working on customer sites.

Thanks
    Start Archive section and move all categories that have their last activity from 10 years back into the archive section. when I first arrived here it looked quite bad to have that old topics all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyandyr View Post
    Start Archive section and move all categories that have their last activity from 10 years back into the archive section. when I first arrived here it looked quite bad to have that old topics all over.
    I personally don't like this suggestion. Why?

1. Because it makes finding information in older threads much harder
    2. Moving sections like you suggested would require lot of work for site admin/moderators since as far as I know vBulletin software that PGD site bases upon does not offer anything like this to be done automatically.
      I believe there is an archiving procedure where threads older than certain amount of time can be archived. But the problem of this procedure is that by archiving threads you lose all text formatting, attachments, etc.
    3. What if someone wants to post something in a category that has been entirely moved into "inactive" section? can they post or can't? And if they do what happens with the category itself?

Now if you are bothered by seeing really old posts you might filter that by editing "Default Thread Cut Off" setting under general forum setting of your profile (I haven't tested this out) because I personally like to see all posts no matter how old they are.