Thread: Luna Game Pascal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    .chm works fine on my work computer with 32bit/Win7, home computer is 64/Win10. Now that you said so, I think it does not by default even know what .chm is, so I probably have made some chewing-gum setup and that is why it's not working. I'll have another look tonight when I get home.

If your Windows (Win 2000 and above) does not recognize .chm file type there are two most likely causes for it.
    1. At some point you had another program installed that was assigned for opening .chm files and later you removed that program from your computer.
    2. You performed a custom Windows installation without installing any help system components which are opening .chm files by default.

So I suggest you check to se if Windows help components are installed and reinstall them if necessary to fix file assignments.

@SilverWarior, good points. Thanks!

Let me get your opinion, I have a version of the help with html files which will avoid the issues with .CHMs. Would this be better? I do like the fact that a .chm is compressed and self contained. Let me know your thoughts.

lgp-helpviewer.jpg
    Last edited by drezgames; 20-06-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Sorry I was asleep all evening. Better luck tonight?

I have not release the build using the raw HTML pages, yet. I was trying to get an idea of if this would be preferred over a .chm file.

Advantages:
    - I can theme the window since its part of the calling process
    - I can control the output of the help system more easily
    - all the advantages of direct control

Disadvantages:
    - Have to manage lots of html files in the distro

GameMaker Studio 2 and Unity are using html files so maybe its a better option? I know for myself I like simple and elegant and a single .chm is appealing. But there is the issue already mention that will be an problem with CHM. But, I would like to know other people thoughts on this.
    Last edited by drezgames; 20-06-2017 at 08:16 PM.

The .chm opens now all the way. I did not re-download, I did not restart my computer, I didn't do anything! Weird... Computers...

I agree single file help chm or pdf is more appealing. HTML help can be hosted online or separate compressed download as backup.
    Last edited by Thyandyr; 20-06-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyandyr View Post
    I agree single file help chm or pdf is more appealing.
    Yes single file help does seem appealing. But the problem with .chm (Microsoft compiled HTML Help) is proprietary technology owned by Microsoft so there are probably some limitation of where you can use it. So if you are thinking about supporting any other platform besides Windows you would probably have to change it.