Thread: How generate 2d mesh triangles list from an image?

How generate 2d mesh triangles list from an image?

Hi there,

there is a tool that generate a custom traingles list from an image?

Thanks in advance
    Sesilla

You will have to be more specific in your question because right not it is pretty vague and leaves lots of guessing.

Are you perhaps interested in converting the raster image into verctorized image so that you would be able to easily scale it with the least quality loss?
    Are you perhaps interested in extracting 2D shapes out of the image and storing them as series of triangles?
    Perhaps you have a texture atlas and which is storing multiple textures and you want a tool that will return position of those textures in form of triangles so that you can easily pas them to low level rendering methods?
    Or perhaps you need something completely different.

Hi SilverWarior, you are right.

I would like to create an explosion effect. For this, i thought: get a texture, generate a mesh triangles with texture uv coordinates and render it.
    For the explosion, i split the triangles. There is another solution?

I'm searching for a tool/code that help me to generate 2D mesh triangle list with uv coordinates.

Thanks
    Regards
    Sesilla

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    You will have to be more specific in your question because right not it is pretty vague and leaves lots of guessing.

Are you perhaps interested in converting the raster image into verctorized image so that you would be able to easily scale it with the least quality loss?
    Are you perhaps interested in extracting 2D shapes out of the image and storing them as series of triangles?
    Perhaps you have a texture atlas and which is storing multiple textures and you want a tool that will return position of those textures in form of triangles so that you can easily pas them to low level rendering methods?
    Or perhaps you need something completely different.

Do you want the triangle shapes to follow the texture shapes? If you do then using vectoriization might be a good approach.

But if you don't care much about that and just want to explode your texture into certain number of random looking pieces then you might want to check link to the next article.
    http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/...ap-generation/
    While the article is explaining how to proceduraly generate game maps in its base it is using algorithms that split 2D area (map area) into multiple polygons of different shapes and sizes which could come useful to you for creating 2D mesh with random sized polygons that you can then explode. In fact I think that using polygons instead of simply triangles might lead to even better looking explosion effect.

Thanks SilverWarrior, i will see the article.

Regards
    Sesilla

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Do you want the triangle shapes to follow the texture shapes? If you do then using vectoriization might be a good approach.

But if you don't care much about that and just want to explode your texture into certain number of random looking pieces then you might want to check link to the next article.
    http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/...ap-generation/
    While the article is explaining how to proceduraly generate game maps in its base it is using algorithms that split 2D area (map area) into multiple polygons of different shapes and sizes which could come useful to you for creating 2D mesh with random sized polygons that you can then explode. In fact I think that using polygons instead of simply triangles might lead to even better looking explosion effect.