Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
Never understood the point of external scripting languages in Object Pascal applications, personally. The syntax is already easier to read than almost everything else! Why not just use functionality from the compiler/RTL to execute user-written Pascal internally? Or even just distribute a binary copy of FPC and a stripped-down RTL build along with the application that you can invoke to compile user-written game project files or whatever it is you're trying to do. The overall number of "possibilities" you'd be able to expose to the user that way is a lot higher...
For couple of reasons:
script editor must come with debugger - breakpoints and locals inspection. I'm not gonna use prints to debug anymore, I'm not a caveman.
must have auto complete and syntax highlight
I want script editor to look good
documentation-wise lua is lua and those pascal scripts are dialects so to speak

I didn't ruled out DWScript or PascalScript yet but my first impression when I've downloaded the repos:
PascalScript documentation link doesn't work, included in repo is a .docx file, is it 1999 again?
Example IDE with debugger relies on TSynEdit but some old branch apparently, doesn't compile, great start.

DWScript: is maintained by single person, documentation is a mess.
Half of included examples doesn't compile, also relies on TSynEdit.

I'm leaning towards Firemonkey as I need some non standard functionality like container with controls that can be zoomed in and out. There's no SynEdit for Firemonkey and I don't have time or resources to develop my own text editor hence remote debugger looks like a way to go.

I knew it was possible with lua so I've started with it.
Now I'll investigate if there are any remote debugger options for those pascals as I'm pretty sure script integration into my code would be less work than with lua.

As for shipping stripped down fpc, wouldn't that mean compiled 'sctipts' would come as dynamic loaded libraries and whole new field of problems to solve?

Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
Also...

>Visual Studio Code
>Mature Modern Code Editor

one of these things is not like the other.
Well it's light, free and has all the features I need + built in versioning support. If you have better script debugging editors handy then I'm all ears.