Thread: Scripting with remote debugger?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Scripting with remote debugger?

Trying to figure out how to go about this:
    I need to add scripting capability to my program, script language doesn't really matter. Can be lua, Pascal Script or whatever as long as I can write scripts in decent external text editor (like Visual Studio Code) and be able to debug the scripts launched from my program.

I know that some scripting libraries like Pascal Script or DWScript have simple debugger examples but they rely on SynEdit, are bugged and can't compare to mature modern code editor.

Must be possible but I'm clueless

I also intend on adding script support for one of my projects but unlike you I would prefer if the scripting language used is based on pascal or even better object pascal dialect. Unfortunately I also haven't found good enough solution yet.
    Also unlike you need to be able to write these scripts in-game as the scripting support will represent one of the main features of the game. So I'm afraid I might have to go and write my own code editor based on the game UI.

Keep me updated on your solution, I need to do the same at some point.

Managed to connect lua debugger in Visual Studio Code with my program.
    It was a major pain in the ass so here are the steps for future reference:

0. get the debugger extension for VSC:
    https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...vCAT.lua-debug

1. get lua 5.1 bindings from here:
    https://blog.spreendigital.de/2009/0...r-delphi-2010/
    Note that there are newer ones posted on same site for lua 5.3 but debugger works with 5.1

2. Debugger VSC extension has some other lua libs dependencies. Tried binaries from different places and wasted whole day on it. Instead install luarocks and get dkjson and luasocket with it.

3. Copy mentioned libraries, lua5.1,lua51 from luarocks to your programs' exe folder and overwrite dll that comes with delphi bindings.

4. follow steps in debugger setup instructions (launch json config, add magic script lines in your client, call debbugee.poll in lua tick function called from client on timer).

That's about it. Didn't play with it much yet but breakpoints are working, local vars can be inspected. So far so good.

Never understood the point of external scripting languages in Object Pascal applications, personally. The syntax is already easier to read than almost everything else! Why not just use functionality from the compiler/RTL to execute user-written Pascal internally? Or even just distribute a binary copy of FPC and a stripped-down RTL build along with the application that you can invoke to compile user-written game project files or whatever it is you're trying to do. The overall number of "possibilities" you'd be able to expose to the user that way is a lot higher...

Also...

>Visual Studio Code
    >Mature Modern Code Editor

one of these things is not like the other.
    Last edited by Akira13; 27-10-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
    Never understood the point of external scripting languages in Object Pascal applications, personally. The syntax is already easier to read than almost everything else! Why not just use functionality from the compiler/RTL to execute user-written Pascal internally? Or even just distribute a binary copy of FPC and a stripped-down RTL build along with the application that you can invoke to compile user-written game project files or whatever it is you're trying to do. The overall number of "possibilities" you'd be able to expose to the user that way is a lot higher...
    For couple of reasons:
    script editor must come with debugger - breakpoints and locals inspection. I'm not gonna use prints to debug anymore, I'm not a caveman.
    must have auto complete and syntax highlight
    I want script editor to look good
    documentation-wise lua is lua and those pascal scripts are dialects so to speak

I didn't ruled out DWScript or PascalScript yet but my first impression when I've downloaded the repos:
    PascalScript documentation link doesn't work, included in repo is a .docx file, is it 1999 again?
    Example IDE with debugger relies on TSynEdit but some old branch apparently, doesn't compile, great start.

DWScript: is maintained by single person, documentation is a mess.
    Half of included examples doesn't compile, also relies on TSynEdit.

I'm leaning towards Firemonkey as I need some non standard functionality like container with controls that can be zoomed in and out. There's no SynEdit for Firemonkey and I don't have time or resources to develop my own text editor hence remote debugger looks like a way to go.

I knew it was possible with lua so I've started with it.
    Now I'll investigate if there are any remote debugger options for those pascals as I'm pretty sure script integration into my code would be less work than with lua.

As for shipping stripped down fpc, wouldn't that mean compiled 'sctipts' would come as dynamic loaded libraries and whole new field of problems to solve?

Quote Originally Posted by Akira13 View Post
    Also...

>Visual Studio Code
    >Mature Modern Code Editor

one of these things is not like the other.
    Well it's light, free and has all the features I need + built in versioning support. If you have better script debugging editors handy then I'm all ears.