Quote Originally Posted by Chebmaster View Post

Sorry. You posted a link to a page with one paragraph of title text and some embedded rectangle that doesn't work without JavaScript. Okay, I temporarily enabled JS for slideshare.net and slidesharecdn.com. And what I see?
A veritable wall of sites that suddenly want to run their JavaScript in my browser.
How about NO?
I alvays ignore such dumps of websites full of suspicious third party scripts.
It's a web site that hosts a PowerPoint presentation made by aforementioned Nvidia person. I also use a JavaScript blocker in FireFox myself, but for occasional viewing open links in Chromium (Edge on Windows), which is something you can do for such exceptional cases. It's too bad you didn't care to check the presentation, especially for yourself as your attitude was a classical example of Dunning-Krueger effect: you have barely learned shader basics (as you've said yourself), so being a beginner you try to give advice whether to use a particular technology or not, while not being an expert on this topic; and you fear to see a presentation without enabling JavaScript, so can't actually learn something new. Please don't do that, such attitude hinders the real talent you may have.

Here's a quote from that Nvidia presentation:
NVIDIA values OpenGL API backward compatibility
- We don't take API functionality away from you
- We aren't going to foce you to re-write apps
Does deprecated functionality "stay fast"?
- Yes, of course - and stays fully tested
- Bottom-line: Old & new features run fast
Quote Originally Posted by Chebmaster View Post
Besides, judging by the title that was something a nVidia dev said 9 years ago. Lots happened since then and I am more interested in the situation of today.
"You have to know the past to understand the present." This Nvidia presentation talks about OpenGL 3.2, which is exact moment the whole deprecation thing happened. I obviously can't speak for graphics vendors, but I believe their commitment to continue supporting all OpenGL features in their graphics drivers is driven both by video games industry (there are a lot of old games that use legacy code; have you played Starcraft 1 recently? It still works and that's DirectDraw with direct primary surface access ) and enterprise sector, where you may find large code bases dating back to 90s.

So it boils down to the same thing people said in Pascal vs C thread: use the tool that you find most appropriate for your current task.