Thread: .BAT in "Execute after" pitfall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation .BAT in "Execute after" pitfall

I was using .bat / .sh files instead of makefiles since forever.

It turns out, lots of my problems were because [Erroneous statement removed] So, if you, say, set an envvar from inside an if () block it fails silently and without warning!

Cost me tons of headache and pointless debugging due to executables being compiled with wrong keys.

And all that time I was thinking FPC 3.x was glitchy fecal matter! Which is untrue, as it turns out!
    Last edited by Chebmaster; 20-08-2018 at 07:27 AM.

I use GCC make and it works like a charm. Even on Windows seems to work quite well. I know make has a lot of options and stuff, but you can still take a big advantage with basic functionality.
    No signature provided yet.

Update: this was not the case. The problem was with .bat language quirk: if you change an environment variable inside an if () block, the value you read back from it won't change until after that if () block.

Update: *both* Lazarus and MSEide use custom built-in .BAT interpreters with limited functionality. They do not allow changing envvars once set! They fail silently at that, no warning.
    The only exception as far as I can tell is PATH.

Addendum:
    should have used
    Code:
    cmd /c build.bat
    instead of
    Code:
    .\build.bat
    right from the start.
    Lzarus invoking cmd.exe works perfectly, the script executes as designed finally allowing me to use loops and other advanced syntax.

This reminds me that I was thinking about drop makefiles from my Pascal projects and use sh/bat/cmd scripts instead. Since I've learned how to do conditionals in bat/cmd files it seems more possible.
    No signature provided yet.