Thread: Is Vulkan important?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    >Will Vulkan really replace long-term OpenGL?
    I've never tried Vulkan myself but I watch threads regularly @ GameDev.ru and I gained some insight into it.

Vulkan has *extremely* high entrance threshold. Many menial tasks the OGL / DX driver performs "under the hood", tasks you never had idea exist (like syncing memory access between rendering stages), Vulkan requires you to program explicitly. Thus, even to make a rotating cube work you have to have very good in-depth understanding of how videocards work and their components interact.

So, a simple answer, no. It is possible that OGL / DX will be (or already are) rewritten to be wrappers around Vulkan, but it the fact is Vulkan is a tool for seasoned pro veterans. 95% applications out there don't need such level of control over the video card.

For my 2 cents, I don't see OGL going away before a long time, since it's heavily present everywhere and more into pro-software.
    I see more Vulkan replacing DirectX, but anyway.
    I'm in the same boat as SilverWarior considering Vulkan isn't a magical thing to resolve any problem/optimization. As usual we will see if it will live the hype.