Thread: Moderation on the site

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Moderation on the site

Hi all,

Seems this is a problem...

There are some places in the site where posts and threads are moderated. This means they will be in a queue waiting for someone with moderator status to approve them.

This is done for numerous reasons (mainly to try and reduce spam in certain places - such as the new user sign up process, and to try and keep certain threads/forums on track).

When a post is moderated, you will not be able to see it and you will be told this is the case when you have posted. Do not think an error has occurred and post again... if an error occurs, you will be told about it.

Currently there is only a couple of users who are moderators so please be patient.

Thanks
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

This is not quite correct.

When you reply you get this shown:

After you refresh the thread / page, you see nothing in the thread about your post being in any kind of moderation queue anymore.

I'd suggest make the original message more prominent, and to have some effect of the replyvisible even tho it's not shown.

Also, regulars could maybe not be bound by those limitations.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I've investigated the numerous options within the site software and I have been unable to find anything that wold make moderated posts visible to the original user. You've been around long enough to know how much of a pain it becomes when you start modifying the software running the site.

It is what it is. I myself thought that moderated posts and threads were visible to the original poster (and moderators), but that isn't the case.

As stated, if an error occurs you will be told about it, so if there is no error then assume your post was successful and has been moderated.

The reality is that this only affects a couple of places on the forums, which to be fair are not heavy traffic areas so I don't see this as a big issue.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
    The reality is that this only affects a couple of places on the forums, which to be fair are not heavy traffic areas so I don't see this as a big issue.
    One of those places is "Welcome to PGD" thread where I noticing a pattern where if some new members posts doesn't get approved within a day or so but gets approved later (I must admit that I no longer check PGD site every single day as I used to in the past) most of the times users that posted those messages don't come back and therefore stay in Moderated Users group forever. Therefore I'm afraid we might be loosing some potential new users this way. That is why I pointed out this problem in the PM to you.
    Now I understand that we can't afford to disable moderation of "Welcome to PGD" thread as I'm well aware of we used to have in the past regarding SPAM levels like somewhere between 100 and 200 new spam-bots accounts each day and over 1000 spam messages a day.
    Yes I have been here long enough to see the worst. Granted it is because of all that spam that I have been granted the privilege of becoming the PGD moderator.

Therefore my suggestion was making able to see each users when one or more of his messages are moderated in certain thread.