Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Savage Vessels

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777 View Post
    I tried to also play it in Linux with Steam Proton, but it doesn't go well, as shown below. The EConvertError is always different and seems random, like it's picking up garbage memory, but the line it happens on is always the same.
    Thanks for letting me know! My experience with linux is a long time ago. But you could send me your log file (Savage Vessels > output > log.txt) which might provide a hint for me. (kpas@posteo.de)

Quote Originally Posted by klausvdl View Post
    Thanks for letting me know! My experience with linux is a long time ago. But you could send me your log file (Savage Vessels > output > log.txt) which might provide a hint for me. (kpas@posteo.de)
    Hey, I've sent you the log. If you don't use Linux then no need to look into it. Since Proton/Wine is basically a windows emulator it might be that they have a bug too. Was worth trying, since I switch between windows and linux a lot.

One thing that annoys me about the game, and I'm not sure if that is by design, is that you'll be swallowed by the void sometimes when beeing close to it, even without going into it. Though I'd quit playing it, but I try here and there So I recorded this, and it turns out it happens sometimes when you're touching the edge even a bit, which a lot of times doesn't swallow you into the void.
    Last edited by de_jean_7777; 13-04-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    Existence is pain

One thing that annoys me about the game, and I'm not sure if that is by design, is that you'll be swallowed by the void sometimes when beeing close to it, even without going into it.

So I recorded this, and it turns out it happens sometimes when you're touching the edge even a bit, which a lot of times doesn't swallow you into the void.

I haven't tried this game yet so I'm not exactly sure of what you are talking about. But based on what you say I think it might depend on the way colission detection is being handled.
    So I recommend that next time you pay a litle more atention to ship rotation for when this occurs. Perhaps colision box for the ship needs a tad bit of adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Perhaps colision box for the ship needs a tad bit of adjustment.
    Yeah, it's likely. It's not an easy game, and this makes it somewhat unpredictable. But I do like to go too close to the edge.
    Existence is pain

Hey, I've sent you the log. If you don't use Linux then no need to look into it. Since Proton/Wine is basically a windows emulator it might be that they have a bug too. Was worth trying, since I switch between windows and linux a lot.

One thing that annoys me about the game, and I'm not sure if that is by design, is that you'll be swallowed by the void sometimes when beeing close to it, even without going into it. Though I'd quit playing it, but I try here and there So I recorded this, and it turns out it happens sometimes when you're touching the edge even a bit, which a lot of times doesn't swallow you into the void.
    Thanks for the log, and sorry for the delay!
    Ok, I was able to roughly localize the problem, but I cannot get closer without trial and error. If I ever have Linux on my PC then I know what to do at least.

When it comes to the void you have to pay attention to the nearby edge of the red-blue halo. As soon as the center of your ship crosses that line your are void fodder.

When it comes to the void you have to pay attention to the nearby edge of the red-blue halo. As soon as the center of your ship crosses that line your are void fodder.

Ah, that was the problem. The halo was not that noticeable on my laptop screen, and I only paid attention to the black void edge.
    Existence is pain

One other thing, I've reached save point 3, got the achievement for it, yet I need to start again from level 4 instead of level 6. And sometimes starting the game under windows will give an error "no appropriate audio device available". Here's the log file.
    Existence is pain

One other thing, I've reached save point 3, got the achievement for it, yet I need to start again from level 4 instead of level 6.
    The achievements are unlocked live when the conditions are met. But only when you finally quit the game the savegame file is written (including your current level) and after that synchronized with the Steam cloud. So it's possible that something happened after you unlocked that achievement; did you remember if the game terminated normally? Or perhaps the savegame has been out of sync next time?

And sometimes starting the game under windows will give an error "no appropriate audio device available". Here's the log file.
    I'm using OpenAL for sound. I output that error only when OpenAL can't find usable audio devices. Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere but at the moment I know of no other computer (from many hundreds) where this error occurs. However I'll keep this in mind.

But only when you finally quit the game the savegame file is written (including your current level) and after that synchronized with the Steam cloud. So it's possible that something happened after you unlocked that achievement; did you remember if the game terminated normally? Or perhaps the savegame has been out of sync next time?
    Maybe because I used ALT+F4 to close it.
    Existence is pain

Ok, this is a bit unusual but nevertheless the program should execute all the exit procs including writing the savegame file.

Hm, for now it's an exceptional case, sorry! But thanks for letting me know anyway!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast