Thread: ORE rises from the ashes

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ORE rises from the ashes

Hi all,

Those of you who have been around since 2006 may remember the competition entry my house mate and I created for the PGD Annual 2006 "Big Boss" competition. Well, it died a death for numerous reasons but I'm now restarting the project with a view to finally making the game we envisaged all those years ago.

But this time things are going to be a little bit different... I invite you all on the journey with me as I'm going to be streaming as much development on the project as I can. I can't promise a fixed schedule, just as much as I can

You can come along for the ride on Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/athenaofdelphi. At the moment interaction is only through chat but that may change in the future (it's just problematic as we have a nutty dog and my house mate is often on voice chat gaming).

So you can get an idea of the scope of the project... I'm looking at OpenGL rendering for the graphics, a few different types of map style and the vast majority of the game in Lua with Delphi doing the heavy lifting. I'm undecided at the moment whether or not I'm going to include cooperative play (for a small number of people - maybe a maximum of 4) but one thing I know for sure is there's going to be a lot of learning involved and hopefully some good chat

I just did my first stream, be aware... it's literally the beginning of the project. Tonight I completed the 'New Project' button. Next is to start handling getting some graphics into the system.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Thumbs up

Cool initiative!
    I will follow it, since I cannot contribute to it.

OpenGL is pretty OK. I also using it via GLScene for FARC, even if 3D is secondary in this project.
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

I find it very cool too thank you for sharing.

TweakBox word counter Tutuapp
    Last edited by davido; 29-02-2020 at 08:27 PM.

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    By way of an update... I ditched what I created in the first two weeks. It simply wasn't practical and was suffering from poor performance due to how I'd implemented the rendering and image storage.

I now have a texture atlas component that you can just add images to and then have it create large (16384 x something) texture images which should reduce the number of texture binds and also allow me to do some more optimisation. At the moment, I'm starting to design the structure of the project data and some of the scripts etc.

If you fancy popping along to a stream, I'm happy to field questions etc.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::