Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UNICODESTRING vs ANSISTRING

Sorry for the double post, but I have to say this: the solution was trivial

While testing I discovered that function StrPas (used internally to force some callings to overloaded functions in my abstraction layer unit) were in a different unit in modern Delphi (AnsisString instead of SysUtils), so I added it to be used only in Delphi. Since then warnings appeared again and I was like WTF Delphi is trolling me... But using the Find declaration command to see the actual declaration of Format I discovered AnsiString also defines it's own version using ANSISTRING instead of UNICODESTRING!

Note it doesn't avoid the need of the abstraction layer unit, but it simplifies a lot the implementation of this unit (and avoids to call an extra function internally in other units). For example:
    Code:
      USES
      {$IFDEF ISDELPHI2009ANDUP}
      { This unit implements sysutils using ANSISTRING instead of UNICODESTRING,
        which is the default in modern Delphi compilers. }
        AnsiStrings;
      {$ELSE}
        sysutils;
      {$ENDIF}

··· 

FUNCTION al_str_format (CONST Fmt: AL_STR; CONST Args : ARRAY OF CONST)
        : AL_STR;
      BEGIN
        Format (Fmt, Args)
      END;
    This way there's no need of conditional compilation outside Allegro.pas.

So, now we know.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 21-02-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    No signature provided yet.

Wait Delphi has a special unit just for dealing with ANSI strings? I must shamefully admit that I didn't knew that

Well, you know now.

Anyway I think they should add an option to tell the compiler to define STRING as ANSISTRING, as FPC does with {$unicodestrings} or something. That would help a lot porting and maintaining code.

Mother of Strings!!! it's highly inefficient and error prone to have multiple, obscure and undocumented units to deal with the same task.

If you mean the AnsiStrings unit, I agree. If I were Delphi developer I would overload the functions adding UNICODESTRING, without breaking backwards compatibility.

If you mean my al5strings... well, I didn't found a better solution.

I meant AnsiStrings unit. That's a mistake. Your al5strings unit is a fix on a mistake made by others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12