Indeed I never bought any High DPI monitor. But it turned out I have at least one rich friend with such a gadget. Annoying when I wanted to proudly show my latest creation and it looked like crap on his advanced machine.

Seems to be complicated to handle the resolutions and I haven't even begun with the application manifest thingie. Anyway I got to try my best. No doubt I will encounter new problems. I assume there can be conflicts when I try to fix the appearance while windows also tries to fix the appearance in its way.

An other question is how much more high-res the monitors will be in the future. Right now windows supports max rescaling of 225%. There must be some limit of how much it's meaningful/possible to shrink the pixels/ dots.. will there one day be rescaling to ten thousand percent.. and not lousy 4K monitors but 4G monitors.. I think a 4G monitor is still science fiction but the tech improves relentlessly..

As for your high res TV it sounds like a good plan to wait for a similar wasted gadet to scrap parts from. I keep my fingers crossed for you. Them monitors can be expensive and I rather spend the dollars on the CPU and the Disks. Not that I buy anything fancy. I prefer the low power low end ones with integrated graphics. Still beats my first PC from last millenium. I started with a 20 MHz i386 with 1 MB ram and 40 MB disk drive. Even the most crappy modern PC is superior to that.