Thread: Grayout -Simple Linux freeware game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Program updated. Now with three sizes/dificulty level.
    Screenshot here. No animation this time.

Download link still at

https://www.jonax.se/downloads.php

grayout11.jpg

----------
    I too suspect the brute forceing would require quit a lot of processing, and probably quite some time delay if ran on weaker systems. And that AI building is quite a challenge. I'm afraid I have never dabbled in AI but the game concept seems like one that could be fitting for AI.

I wasn't aware about the Inno Setup Delphi connection. Always nice to learn new things. I guess I have to look into those packages and tarballs if those are the linux way to do it. As I come from the windows world I naturally started looking for installers.
    Last edited by Jonax; 12-03-2022 at 09:20 AM. Reason: adding replies to SilverWarior's post+ typo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonax View Post
    And that AI building is quite a challenge. I'm afraid I have never dabbled in AD but the game concept seems like one that could be fitting for AI.
    You got scared because i mentioned AI. You shouldn't have. In fact I'm willing to bet that if I would have not mentioned AI you might be now trying to implement the algorithm that I suggested.
    Not every AI is super complex and difficult to implement. In fact this game seems suitable for one of the most most simple AI implementations. In fact you already have few parts of it already written. Which parts? The code that is used for clearing every exposed blocks of selected color and code that counts of how many of these blocks were removed. You just need a few more logical connections and you get everything that you need for my proposed algorithm.
    If you wish I could try and guide you through the process of making this algorithm. And since you basically in the same time-zone as I'm We could perhaps even make a video-call using Skype or Discord. I probably won't have any time tomorrow but I guess I could fine some time this Sunday for this.

I wasn't aware about the Inno Setup Delphi connection.
    I believe that the sheer fact that it was made with Delphi also lead to it being shipped with Delphi by default.
    Do you know that for some time Inno Setup was considered to be even more stable than the Install Shield which was made by Microsoft and was default installer for most Microsoft programs withe the exception of the Windows itself for years..

Always nice to learn new things. I guess I have to look into those packages and tarballs if those are the linux way to do it. As I come from the windows world I naturally started looking for installers.
    I'm still on Windows environment but did tried to dabble with Linux a few times in the past. I'm guessing just enough to at least know where to start looking for more information.

Indeed AI sounds scary to a noob, but when you put it that way it may be worth exploring a bit. And your suggestions could no doubt be put to use somehow. At least some simplified non-optimized solution. I hoppe.

Thanks a lot for the guiding offer but Sunday is not possible and actually I lack camera and microphone on my somewhat primitive equipment. I'm afraid text will have to do. But the time zone is right. I think I saw you at discord so I'll try some friendship/PM thingie over there.

Indeed AI sounds scary to a noob, but when you put it that way it may be worth exploring a bit.
    Many things sound scary to a noob. For instance when I was a noob I was terrified of making a derived class. In fact I even know few more expirienced programmers that are still scared by classes.
    But I got past that fear once a managed to learn some basics of how classes actually work. Now I have no fear of making a custom class myself. Even made some examples where I use classes in quite a unique way. For instance I have a prototype code for managing RPG based units and items which heavily rely on classes. I designed classes to allow me very good data reusability so I can create potentially create thousands of very detailed ingame units but do this with quite a small memory footprint.

And your suggestions could no doubt be put to use somehow. At least some simplified non-optimized solution. I hoppe.

I lack camera and microphone on my somewhat primitive equipment. I'm afraid text will have to do. But the time zone is right.
    To be hones I would need to fire my old laptop for camera and mike. Or use my work smarthphone as mike somehow.I believe I could use Smartphone as mike in discord and computer for rest.

I think I saw you at discord so I'll try some friendship/PM thingie over there.
    Not very often but yeah. I have sent you a friend request.

Cool

Classes. I'm still not friend with these. Though I can see the use for them. I'm glad to hear you are doing well with the classes.

Anyway. I'm working on the machine solution update for the grayout program. Nothing to show today, despite me saying this type of program is quick to finish. Hopefully sometime next week. The plan is to have on or two algorithmic naive solutions, at least as allowed number of moves, and the challenge for the player is to do better. We will see. And discord friendship request arrived and accepted.
    Last edited by Jonax; 13-03-2022 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Typo

Classes. I'm still not friend with these. Though I can see the use for them. I'm glad to hear you are doing well with the classes.
    If you have any question in this area don't be afraid to ask. Unlike many Stack Overflow users I won't just tell you to go and read some pascal beginner book. While that may be a perfectly valid suggestion for long time. Giving such answer to a newbie is just a motivational killer and thus makes more harm than good. I know this from experience since I revived this kind of answers on various forums many times. Well not here on PGD. Which is why I'm regularly visiting PGD almost every day for years now.

The plan is to have on or two algorithmic naive solutions, at least as allowed number of moves, and the challenge for the player is to do better.
    I'm looking forward of seeing your solutions.
    If you hit a snag don't be afraid to ask for help. If you ask nicely I may even be convinced to install Lazarus again on my computer so I could test your code directly if the need arises.

Thanks for the offer to help SilverWarior. So far I'm still making progress, but nothing to show today. Hopefully later this week, or perhaps next week. I can mention already now that the two algorithms are not equally effective, on average, and they both can be beaten by a human intelligence. Not surprisingly. But one has to start somewhere.

I'm not visiting StackOverflow often but occasionally search engines send me there when searching for solutions to some problem or some notation I've forgotten. Now when you mention it I do have a beginners pascal book. The one I got with Delphi 3. It's still on a shelf somewhere. Though I don't think there were much about classes there. I'll ask you instead if I ever start dipping my toes in the classes. I can't comment on other fora but I really like it here in PGD forum.