Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grayout -Simple Linux freeware game

Quote Originally Posted by Jonax View Post
    What I tried to say is the physical light emitters making up the dots in modern flatscreen monitors ought to be made smaller or placed closer to each other if the screen makers want to fit more of them into each square inch. I assume Moores law doesn't apply here but either way there should be some limit of how small or densely place they can meaningfully be.
    If you want to learn more about squeezing more pixels closely together and what limitations there are in this area I suggest reading about Nano Pixel Technology which was developed recently and represents not just a new step but a new leap in this area.
    In fact with development of Nano Pixel Technology the ability to physically squeeze as many pixels in small area is no longer the limitation for screen resolution. Current limitation for how big screen resolution we can have is actually the ability to deliver enough data to the screen in order to display the finial picture properly. Of course the refresh rate also has a huge impact to all this.

Since you have been in computer world for some time I guess you probably still remember the time of CRT monitors and how you could have your CRT monitor displaying 800 x 600 resolution at 80 Hz but if you wanted to display 1024 x 768 resolution your the screen refresh rate would drop down to 60 Hz. Back then we were also limited by the signal bandwidth similar as we are today. So I'm guessing that before we se next big leap in screen resolution we would have to see a development of new technology for delivering the screen signal from graphics card to the monitor itself.

Interesting. So the density can continue to increase, but hopefully (from my point of view) not too rapid. This complicates the coding but must be dealt with one way or another. Btw. I noticed Debian KDE goes further than Windows and offer 300% scaling. Not that I can meaningfully test that on my limited monitor.

And I do remember getting a 800x600 CRT monitor. Was a great improvement over the original VGA monitor I had. Not that I bothered with refresh rate back then. My system handled Delpi and Settlers 2 well enough and life was comparably simple.

Now I have begun some new scaling concept test coding. So far nothing to show. But I hope to be able to create something simple any month now.

The Grayout program will have to wait. The suggested extra features are interesting but they got to be postponed, mayhaps forever. Stil aiming to make an installer for debian and raspberry some day.

I haven't made any updates on the Grayout program.

However I can mention there is already an 'Easter Egg' in the published version.

If you click the "Jonax | 2022" icon/image the auto-solve will kick in.

That is the non optimized algoritm which decides the number of awailable steps for the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonax View Post
    That is the non optimized algoritm which decides the number of awailable steps for the solution.
    This non-optimized algorithm is pretty effective. I had some problems finishing some of the puzzles in allotted number of turns. So it is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    So it is pretty good
    Thanks SilverWarior

Raspberry PI Update:

In theory the excellent Pascal/Lazarus software can be compiled on a number of different OSes.
    In reality it's not always that simple.

Porting to Raspberry is even trickier than going from Windows to Linux. At least for a Raspberry Noob.
    Finally I resorted to 32-bit PiOS and managed to install an older Lazarus version there (2.0) from 2019.

The Grayout program compiled on my Pi4 and is available at:

https://www.jonax.se/raspberry/grayout.php

I assume/hope the program will run on most Raspberry systems as long as the monitor is large enough.
    In case any of you guys got some Raspberry PI feedback is welcome.

My other projects (MaxDE & PONX) are not (yet) portable to the PI. But I hope to be able to produce something simple for both Pi and Linux in the future. Though current new Linux project is also not compiling on PI.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234