Quote Originally Posted by Jonax View Post
I made this quick attempt mostly to get an idea about my own system's general temperture behaviour before and after the next project - removing the fan, for passive cooling. Haven't begun that procedure yet, got to get a special case for cooling first. Last time I tried this the main problem was to get the system out from the pretty tightly built NUC case without causing too much damage. Actually I lost the microphone and the WiFi + Bluetooth last time. Still it was worth it because the result was a totally silent PC.
Making a passive cooled PC so it can be completely silent is an intriguing idea. An idea that I was considering several years ago after seeing Passive cooling built from Linus Tech Tips YouTube channel.
But I never went through with it since I realized that passive cooling has one big flaw. And that is that it is heavily dependent of ambient temperature. After doing some thermodynamics calculations I realized that such approach would not work for me. Why? Since I don't have any AC in my house during summer temperature in my house could reach even to 28 degrees Celsius which is 5 to 7 degrees more that I have during winter time. And this 5-7 degrees temperature difference of ambient temperature would mean 15-20 degrees diference in temperature of passively cooled components.