Thread: A3dge

Lightbulb A3dge

Hi guys. How's doing?

A few weeks ago I decided that it was time to start a project that I have been waiting for a long time, because at the time I decided to postpone it
    until finishing the rest but... (Well, technically the MinGRo engine and Allegro.pas are "finished" in so much that they work and are quite stable ).

This is a 3D game engine based on the one I made for the PGD Challenge. It doesn't aims to replace Castle Game Engine which is great and I'm still learning to use. The idea is to build a much more simple thing for beginners and less ambitious projects.

Until now I have been with the planning, which I broadcast on Twitch and I have uploaded to YouTube (in Spanish ). I already finished this stage, so I hope to start programming on Saturday.

Now I have a doubt with the names. On the one hand, I think that for the units I am going to use dots, because Free Pascal already supports them. This will give names as a3dge.GUI, a3dge.Math3D, a3dge.Mesh and such. However I haven't made up my mind yet with the names of the classes. At first I was going to use Ta3d as prefix (Ta3dCamera, Ta3dObject3D...) but I'm tempted not to use it, of course this would force to use the name of the unit to avoid ambiguities resulting in longer identifiers. For example: MyGameComponent = class (a3dge.Classes.TComponent) instead of MyGameComponent = class (Ta3dComponent). Or if a3dge.Application.Keyboard.Keypressed then... instead of if a3dApplication.Keyboard.Keypressed then.... What's your opinion?
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 06-02-2023 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Typos
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    Now I have a doubt with the names. On the one hand, I think that for the units I am going to use dots, because Free Pascal already supports them.
    What you are referring as dots is called namespaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    What's your opinion?
    As for naming classes I'm all for using of prefixes in class names. Needing to include unit name every time you are referring to certain data type or certain method is just stupid. Why? Well good luck remembering in which of hundred or so units in your project is certain type or method is declared.
    Sure you could make documentation that would contain information about where certain type or method is declared. But do you really want to spend most of your time searching through such documentation for proper unit names? I certainly don't!

I have no opinion about the naming but I'm happy to see some activity among the Pascal users. Keep up the good work.
    Looking forward follow the future development.

I'm afraid youtube in Spanish is lost on me, but I understand there are a couple hundred million speakers so there's certainly enough potential audience

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    As for naming classes I'm all for using of prefixes in class names. Needing to include unit name every time you are referring to certain data type or certain method is just stupid. Why? Well good luck remembering in which of hundred or so units in your project is certain type or method is declared.
    Sure you could make documentation that would contain information about where certain type or method is declared. But do you really want to spend most of your time searching through such documentation for proper unit names? I certainly don't!
    You're totally right. It was a silly suggestion. I decided to use prefixes in all types and classes, as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonax View Post
    I have no opinion about the naming but I'm happy to see some activity among the Pascal users. Keep up the good work.
    Looking forward follow the future development.
    I'm trying my part. I think Pascal and Object Pascal deserve much more attention they have.

I'm creating this engine because somebody asked for a game engine simpler than Castle.
    No signature provided yet.