Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 28% of Gamers avoid protected games.

28% of Gamers avoid protected games.

If I build protection into a game which relies on a server and a database to generate keys and keep track of legal versions, then that's an expense that I'd have to pay and as soon as it becomes unprofitable to keep that server running, it would be shut down. If this server authenticates each time the game starts, that's it.. game's dead. No more.. finito.. unless, someone hacks it, removes the copy protection and releases a version on the net. Or I release a version without protection.
    Jason, one check per install/update is adaquate. That means they can install it and then use it while offline. And if you are going to remove the server email all your registered users and give them a full copy of the game minus the protection as a reward for sticking with you. You'd keep me plenty happy this way. Or if once per update/install isn't enough for you, just make it check weekly or monthly. The always at startup check isn't really required.

Blog Entries

Anyone here old enough to remember the kinds of copy protection they had in the ole' DOS days, way before the standard 'cd key approach' as we know it today?

The most interesting one was Sierra's games. They would ask you 3 or so questions. And if you answered with the correct word or symbols it would allow you to play further.

There was 2 types that I can recall; 1 was where they'd give you the paragraph, line and word numbers and you had to type in that word. The other was a pinwheel (or a simple fold-open card) that they would ship with the game and you had to line up a number of symbols and click on the symbol that matched the pattern.

And this was back in the late-80s to mid-90s. Same thing, different medium. Of course computer users where far less patient with anything-computer back then anyhow. Boot an old 386 with DOS 5 up and you'll know what I mean.

I find it funny that even after 20 years big companies are still having anti-piracy debates like it's day one. :lol:
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Well, Autocad used to use a hardware dongle (you could build your own if you knew what you were doing). Then there was the scratch and sniff codes for Infocom, and I seem to remember a few games that shiped with decoder rings (much like your other pin wheel).

Of course we also had MajorBBS for multi-user back then, and 300 baud blue box modems for our commador's that you could build yourself from parts readily available from RadioShack (before they sucked).

I remember the password wheel.s Three rings and you had to set eachone in order to get the right password. A pain to make - oops!

Others used the "type in word from page 67". The paper was printed on special brown paper - very hard to photocopy

I had a version of Pascal for my amstrad where you had to find the colour in a large grid of colours gievn a row and column to look up - that was a right pain in the arse to do as they dots were quite small.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

“68 percent of consumers are happy with a technology that protects games without impacting game play -- even if the solution allows a minute or more of delay.”
    I'm surprised..
    I don't buy a lot of games, but my music programs use protection in the form of online authorisation . it kind of 'sucks' , but it's a good way and I'm used to it now.
    Marmin^.Style

I remember Larry Leisure Suit for DOS had a kid-protection... it asked question about USA history and so, it was hard even for adults lol

Blog Entries

:lol: Now thats innovative!

Amazing how some good ideas get lost with time huh?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12