Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent influx of SPAMBOTS

Recent influx of SPAMBOTS

HA! The recent influx of members are SPAMBOTS masquerading as humans by posting "real" topics. There isn't a single username with TOM in it here (at least since I've been around!), and there's no "unmoderated" section. NUKES AWAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    HA! The recent influx of members are SPAMBOTS masquerading as humans by posting "real" topics. There isn't a single username with TOM in it here (at least since I've been around!), and there's no "unmoderated" section. NUKES AWAY!
    seems so, this is just so awful, add some captcha authorization at signup form!
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

I've been on another forum which was completely killed by Spam Bots. (and a lack of moderation)

There are none on the motorbike forum I'm a member of because members have to validate an image on the account screen. That uses PHPbb too.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it seems that there is a whole batch of new users that are harder to discern from fake and real.

I've nailed down a few methods of catching these guys, but it would seem that either the spambots are getting smarter or we're getting more lax.

Then again... since the time of the big hack back in Feb, PGD has really only been moderated by both Dom and I.

Maybe it would help to have a few folks help us out and help keep the forums clean of these guys. Any takers?

IMPORTANT: Please do note that you'll need to be a regular on these forums, or else you won't be very effective in helping to keep the forums in good health.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I would volunteer, but I'm moving in 2 weeks. Sorry.

Blog Entries

Well it's not a one time offer. If you feel like helping out after you have moved, let us know. Dom can set you up as a moderator for whatever forums you think you could handle then.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Well, I'll let you know after the move. I dunno exactly where I'm going, or when I'll have internet access. Or even my computer. Heh. 2nd move in 6 months too! And I ain't even military... :roll:

I've given Traveller moderator rights, so that he can nip these posts when he sees them.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Blog Entries

Excellent. Does he have the ability to nuke the spam accounts too or just the posts?

No worries Robert. Being as you are indeed a regular here, I'm sure things will work it's self out.

I do hope your move goes smoothly though. Being a former military member, believe me, I know what you mean about moving.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Savage has granted me the option to eliminate spam accounts as well as the option to remove posts made by those accounts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast