Hello DGDev community,

First off, I can't believe I found a Delphi community as rare as they seem to be, let alone for Game Development.
Funny enough, I found the post at GameDev where you first started this community. (I'll search for it later, if you want for sentimental value, hehe)(Heck, even Alimonster helped me out a long time ago on GameDev on a Delphi question. Well, I'm back again. )

Anyway, I'm inspired to learn Delphi, but have all kinds of questions.

First off, my programming backround.
I'm highly experienced in the language DarkBasic Professional, but I'm ready to move on. Here's something I just cooked up today in DBP.
http://curvedbasic.dbspot.com/DBPBenchMark5.0.JPG
Ok, this is a Delphi forum though, and I'm wanting Delphi.(*Focus*)

Anyway, right now I'm down to 3 choices.
1.) Go the dreaded way...
2.) PureBasic
3.) Delphi

Let me elaborate a little. (whew, this post is getting long, time for an intermission http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/screen...3-simpsons.jpg)

1.) Okay, by all means C++ isn't a bad thing. C++ I've tried(All the way on Page 2 on Gametutorials.com), but it's so tiresome to learn. I do want to get a job in the game industry one day, yet I can wait.

2.) If I'm not going to floow through in Delphi, I'm going to purchase Pure Basic. Pure Basic is by far one of the most powerful basic languages around, letting you access any API, has multi-platoform capibilities(linux,windows,amiga), and easy to use gadgets.

3.) Ok, after reading the description of the above two you're confused about why I come to Delphi. Personally, I just love the Delphi community. Delphi also has a lot more resources than something such as Pure Basic.
Delphi also has syntax easier to read, rather than a bunch of {{{ }}}.

However, there are some concerns I have with Delphi, and hopefully you all can help me. *Ready, brace yourself, I'm coming in*

First, here's what I want to achieve with Delphi. I want to make Web applications, databases,Dll's, multi-platform(Windows+Linux),graphical apps, and Games. (Extensive list that I know Delphi can do.)

1.) Delphi.Net, does that mean I'm limited to Windows?

2.) Kylix 3. Is this the only way to get myself from being stuck to windows.
How easily is the code to transfer from one platform to the next?

3.) OpenGL. Does OpenGL go hand in hand as far as portibility. Assuming I have Kylix and Delphi, can I easily (as in, not too much change) transfer programs using OGL to each platform?

4.) Can Delphi compile to Linux's version of DLL's natively? Or will I have to use Kylix for that?

5.) Seen any good deal's on Delphi 7 Pro or Delphi 8.net lately.

Wow that's it I guess. If I think of some more questions I'll do a search and maybe post here.

Notes: I also posted a similar thread at GameDev, so don't drive yourself crazy anwsering the same questions twice.
Here's my previous programming knowledge. Maybe sometime soon I'll get a Delphi section in there if I choose to use Delphi.
http://curvedbasic.dbspot.com/

Hmm, can't think of anything else right now, but to thank you all for your time or any suggustions, comments you have. I'll try to linger around and here for a little while and anwser some questions myself perhaps.

Word Count: 534