Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Croaked

Computer Croaked

I'm probably going MSI this time around. I've been planning out a cheap but easily expandible system for later upgrades.

Computer Croaked

I didn't took the time to read it all, but if you lost any data, you could try recovering it with Get data back or something like that...
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Blog Entries

Computer Croaked

MSI is fairly good too, I think.

It you go laptop though I recommend Toshiba. They're probably one of the best. (at least for my own use) Mine cost me only $800CAD and it works amazing, great valued design features for the price too. It's a Toshiba Satellite M70. (the ATI Radeon XPRESS M20 runs AoEIII rather well, in fact most games up to about 2004-2005 run great at full settings.)

The Viao is crap and Sony is WAY too expensive and IBM is crappy esp. for games. Not too sure about HP, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Have not tried Acer, though I was slightly shocked to hear about them a few years back, might be cheap... And then there is Compac... *shutter* If they still make these, just stay away man. *shutter again* Does Dell make laptops? And no clue about Gateway2000... *shrug*

Best thing about laptops... compact little buggers! Esp. for travel or remote usage.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Computer Croaked

um will... why would he get a laptop just because a motherboard stopped working.

good choice on the K9N. you havnt mentioned what cpu you currently have but be warned that the K9N is an AM2 (and DDR2) motherboard

Computer Croaked

Quite right Tux. My next computer will be a full system; I won't carry parts over. I'm looking at this setup for my next rig:

AMD Athalon 64 X2 3800+ XP
    eVGA Geforce 7600GS 256MB PCI-E
    MSI K9N SLI Motherboard
    WB 250GB Harddrive
    G.Skill PC2 6400 1gb RAM
    Antec Smartpower 2.0 PSU

I already have a new case which I bought on sale with an additional 120mm fan, which runs fast and very silent. So really, I will probably buy either XP Pro or an early copy of Vista depending on a few factors. maybe just my current copy of XP Home with a ton of downloaded upgrades. All in all that hovers in the 7 to 8 hundred mark, with easy upgrades of doubling the memory or gfx cards in the near future. And that's all without bargain shopping too.

Blog Entries

Computer Croaked

Eh, some people prefer laptops. I personally only find a slight performance difference in them. Then again it depends on your usage habits. If you're into the latest games and hardware then yeah... but if not it's not a big issue. (Like I said, I can play a ton of current games and they look great.)

One great thing is that it's small enough for my needs. I don't have a very big apartment and I do take my work litterally with me often enough (esp. during my Navy years) so the ability to just take a small book-sized computer with me is great. And when I have it setup in my home, I put it on my desk in my living room/dinning room area as a small office. When I want to sit and enjoy my living room I can just fold the screen and it's stops being an office when I want.

But then again there is the ability to upgrade over time that laptops still lack. Maybe one day... :roll:

At any rate tell us what you end up getting Robert. I'd like to keep up to date a bit more than I have in the recent past.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Computer Croaked

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    Thanks guys, it had me frowning pretty heavily for a few minutes there. I'm backing up my important stuff as I type.

And yes, my motherboard is pretty old now and has given me nothing but trouble since I upgraded to it. Which is why the next time I upgrade I won't buy anything from ASUS. Out of 2 motherboards of the exact model I have, both experience strange issues and aren't worth their cost.
    Asus can sometimes make good motherboards and sometimes crap, usually anything cheaper is crap, such as non-working onboard network cards, but their highier class boards are usually okay, still, if anything goes wrong with asus motherboards, all you need is asus repair kit:

[img][/img]
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12