Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

Blog Entries

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

In an effort to revive my 'first' platform game project, Cyber-Crisis, I've decided to make an official post about it.

Gameplay & Concept: I'm not trying to break too many boundaries with this game, just bring back to life the kind of side scrolling platform fun I used to have when I was a kid. Only now with today's newer hardware capabilities and design techniques the experience will be greatly enhanced.

The game will have a familiar set of controls and action that have been seen in several platform style games. Inspired in part by games like MegaMan, Contra and Metroid.

Gameplay will focus on completing stages to unlock new areas to finish the game. You will be able upgrade your character with new armour, basic systems, special features and different weapons.

Graphics: I'm going pre-rendered 2D sprites with lots of particle effects. Hopefully if all goes well, I'll have nice panoramic backgrounds pre-rendered characters, cutscenes and menus to create a really amazing feel to the game. The main character will also change his appearance as you upgrade your character, take damage, etc. The enemies and bosses will each have their own unique look and feel to them as well.

I'm hoping to have quite the diverse world to explore.

The Game Story: You are a prototype robot based on revolutionary new technology developed by a brilliant scientist who had intended to use it for good and honourable purposes.

However as fate would have it, the good doctor was hunted down, killed and his research stolen by a militant organization ran by a power-hungry madman. Fortunately for you, and for all that is decent still, the good doctor found out of those wanting his demise and put in place emergency measures to be carried out in case of such an even.

In the evacuation however, the escaping convoy carrying his prototype work was attacked and was assumed lost.

60 years later, one of the partially complete prototype robots, you wake up to find a darker world that awaits you.

Kas is my principle artist on this project, but if others feel that they would like to have a go at something, please let us know.

I'll also need a musician somewhere down the road. but won't actively seek out anything until we're a bit further along [size=9px](much easier that way!)[/size]

There is a basic engine in place so far, but nothing near what I'd need for a 'Proof of Concept' Alpha yet. We're focusing on programming and graphics right now.

Early concept design & artwork can bee seen here(concept art) and here(early design ideas) and here (story development)!

Project was canceled on June 26th, 2007!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

Heh, glad to see that you haven't yet abandoned this idea. Gonna have any guns? :twisted: I wanna use some high powered weapons if you're going to put them in...

Blog Entries

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

I'm thinking of taking real world stuff and ammending it with what we'll likely be seeing in the next few years, then taking it to a level that requires a bit of imagination.

But in short lots of crazy effects, BIG 'booms', thunder and fire and energy blasts galore. Provided that I can make the particle engine run well. I could use a tip or two from the NecroSOFT guys though. I like their style.

You guys will love the underwater complex idea I have in my head. This game is going to be bea-U-tiful!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

Nice!

Can't wait to see where this is going to

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

This is the first I've seen of this game, So far I like the model for the player. Looks very much like an Anime Tron.

I too will be interested to see how this progresses.

Best of luck.

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

Good luck with developing it.
    Marmin^.Style

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

I could use a tip or two from the NecroSOFT guys though. I like their style.
    Thanx , what tips do you need?

So far I like the model for the player.
    I second that!

Good luck!
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

I see you made a tile based engine? We once created a platformgame. It was build off from layers.

Layer 1: Background (clouds)
    Layer 2: World
    Layer 3: Player, enemys and powerups

As the world was one large bitmap, we made a collision map. A grey map, scaled down from the world bitmap. Here we can draw lines for collision.
    For example: red was ground, yellow was a wall and green was a ceiling.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Blog Entries

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDOME
    I could use a tip or two from the NecroSOFT guys though. I like their style.
    Thanx , what tips do you need?
    Oh maybe just how I can incorporate some really nice visual effects into my engine. I'm using JEDI-SDL, OpenAL and Lazarus to develop the game. I think that maybe if I wanted to to dabble in any 3D hardware tricks I'd want to use OpenGL, but then again I'd rather stick to plain ole SDL if it's possible.

Besides that though, I'd like to know how to do some of the effects I just mentioned in a cool way that looks great on my screen.

So far I like the model for the player.
    Thanks guys!

The visual style of the game, at least in my mind is going to be spectacular. I'm even hoping to add cutscenes if I have an animator that is up to the task.

The robot is going to look rather unique in design to the rest of the game's current era of technology. Though I'm planning on taking the same design feel to some of the main enemies as their tech was based on what the main hero's original design was. It'll be a fun thing to explore, I think.

If you guys want to see more of what I'm planning visually, you should check out the link I posted above wrt Concept artwork.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Cyber Crisis [Canceled]

Ah just noticed your 2nd post.

Yup, it's tiled. And like what you mentioned, it's gonna have layers too.

Currently what is near fully implimented and what is planned is:

1) Background 'panaramic' Layer -- I may go animated if resources allow for it.
    2) BG Tile layer -- animation capable using a single tileset texture for the whole layer.
    3) FG Tile layer -- this is the layer that interacts with the player. Not animated, but contains extra data about the tilespace and how the player or other objects will interact with it.
    4) Sprite objects layer -- The item, player and enemy sprites will be drawn here
    5) Effects layer -- Planning on drawing all my explosions, and special effects here.
    6) Foreground graphics Layer -- might double up as a 2nd effects layer[size=9px](for weather like snow, fog and rain)[/size] or include special sprites or covering foreground graphics to give the maps more visual depth.

I thought about what you suggested, but I ran into some unknown territory wrt collision detection. ie. How to make it look nice when going up/down slopes or stairs yet keep the same detection 'points'. but beyond those basic issues the even greater one... who is going to render all that map the way I want it? Thats one or two big bitmaps. [size=9px](Especially for my planned 32-bit colors!)[/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast