Well this would be something rather innovative in the way of digital sound. The trouble would of course be in figuring out and dissecting what common elements in all the possible sound combinations would be. No small task indeed.

However the idea is somewhat sound. [size=9px](Forgive the pun. )[/size] You can would obviously tie this in with 3D audio generation and use the combination of those set sound elements in established sources (objects, engine-wise) from physics information gathered in a 3D rendered world.

[size=10px]Possible Scenario: Take your engine's 3D objects assign the common sound elements specific to each of them and measure in speed, mass and friction of both objects that impact and generate the resulting sound from those interactions.[/size]

I think that would become the basic idea of what you are looking to accomplish. Though, doing something as complex as a motor engine would require a TON of processing. But the core concept might herald in the need for new audio hardware to suport such and a new 'audio innovation boom' in computer and game audio would be born.

BTW: I think OpenAL would serve as a great platform for this sort of thing as it already has all the 3D constructs right at setup, all ready to go. Plus with it's common scheme with OpenGL, it would help fasttrack some of the initial concept design work.

Just a few of my own ideas. I like the idea of the technology you propose, I very much would like to know more about your efforts on this. Be sure to keep us in the loop of how it all goes. :thumbup: