Thread: Performance of Samples

Performance of Samples

when I modify the Render-section of Clootie-Sample03 (rotating triangle) the framerate is extremely low:

if (SUCCEEDED(g_pd3dDevice.BeginScene)) then
    begin
    // Setup the world, view, and projection matrices
    SetupMatrices;

// Render the vertex buffer contents
    g_pd3dDevice.SetStreamSource(0, g_pVB, 0, SizeOf(TCustomVertex));
    g_pd3dDevice.SetFVF(D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX);

for a:=0 to 5000 do
    begin

g_pd3dDevice.DrawPrimitive(D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 0, 1 );

end;

// End the scene
    g_pd3dDevice.EndScene;
    end;

Drawing 5000 triangles should be an easy job even for my Geforce2, shouldn't it? Do these samples not use the fastest way of rendering the scene?

Carsten

Performance of Samples

You gor low framerate due to 2 reasons:
    1) For better performance you should minimize total count of DrawPrimitive calls per frame. Optimal is about 500~1000
    2) Triangle you are drawing is LARGE, so your bottleneck not in geometry engine of GF2 but in FILLRATE - shrinking triangle size will give you better framerate.

You could get about 10~20 million triangles per second on GF2 card in optimal case.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Performance of Samples

thanks for the explanation!

So rendering one TriangleList containing 1000 triangles is faster than 1000 TriangleLists with 1 triangle?

Is there a documentation where these effects are explained in detail? I have read two direct3D-books but it still seems to be a question of many trials.
    I would prefer to work systematically.....

Bye

Carsten

Performance of Samples

So rendering one TriangleList containing 1000 triangles is faster than 1000 TriangleLists with 1 triangle?
    Definetly!
    First, it's just less DirectX API overhead, next is driver overhead, and in this case (DrawPrimitive) is videocard state change overhead!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.