Thread: Garland's Quest

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

I am very pleased to show off my latest project, Garland's Quest. It is a small puzzle game intended for both young and older audiences alike. The gameplay is inspired by an early 1990s NES game called 'Adventures of Lolo'. I'm coming really close to a completed Alpha and predict under a months time I'll have a nice shinny new Beta in my hands and ready for final testing.

The game's story:

Garland the 'Grand Wizard' was out in the woods walking about and decided to take a nap in a near-by meadow. Just as he started to fall asleep, a dark wizard named Nem attacked Garland and stole his Wizard's staff. The old wizard, now in shame could not return home without redeeming himself and getting his own staff back from the dark wizard's keep. So Garland's Quest begins...

I'm gonna need some helpers:

It seems however I will need 3 kinds of help to complete the project. I had an artist working with me, but he however had other events come up that prevented him for finishing his work. To be honest he didn't really get too far past the starting point. I have only gotten some of the sprites I need and haven't been able to start animation yet without completed sprite sheets.

To complete the project I'll need:

• A graphics artist that commit to the full required list of graphics and sprites needed, including menu graphics, a title screen and a short ending sequence. I'd like the game characters to be cartoon-ish and fun, but allow for some really nice visual effects such as ambient glowing on the gems, and magic poofs, etc...

• A musician to score the title screen, ending sequence, menu and levels within the game. I'm looking to have mostly a fun feel to the music. The 5 boss maps can have a more battle tone to them, but most of the score would be a cross between ambient & light toned fun music. A nice theme track would be great too. Something catchy in case I decide to make sequels.

• A few intelligent folks that are creative and like making puzzles to assist with come creative brain-twisting level design. I may have a tiny level design competition for those that want a chance to earn a spot in the game's credits and put their own design into the game.

I'm now offering up a copy of my current pre-alpha so that anyone who wants to join as an artist or musician can get a taste of the gameplay. I've included a small Player's Manual so that you will be able to learn and understand how to play the game. It's really simple and fun once you get into the game.

Please download and tell me what you think: Garland's Quest Pre-Alpha (936 KB)

NOTE: because there is no animation you cannot see object facing, player will change facing in the direction of the arrow key last pressed. Magic will be cast in the direction that the player is facing. Also because I do not have up-to-date door & exit portal graphics yet, the exit is denoted by a larger green '?'!
    Last edited by WILL; 06-04-2012 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Fixed some broken links...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder