Thread: Garland's Quest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Looks verry nice.
    And since you are using layering why not try and make water tiles semitransparent and then render the botom textures below, closer to shore more visible the botom texture is. This way you could get the impresion of increasing water depth which would look realy nice.
    Also since you are using layering you might wanna go and use larger textures whose dimensions are actually bigger than tile dimensions. This way the textures will look less repetive (you can clearly see repetive paterns in water texture in the left picture).

Blog Entries
    Well I am using 2 layers really.

The first is the caustic lighting effect animation consisting of 36 frames with some coloring thrown in.

The second is a 1:1 scale seamless texture that I found, scalled down to the 80x80 size required, added a bit of an alpha mask and put it all together in-game.

The caustic lighting cycles through it's animation and on top I draw the water surface texture with an alpha value that goes up and down just slightly as to give it a nice animated effect.

I'll see about posting a video of it sometime soon.

The real fun stuff is what I've been up to lately. Graphics is nice an all, but I've finally been adding 2 things I've been dying to do for a while now; Message Scrolls and Hidden Objects inside of Objects. Hint: Magic gets them out.

I think that this will give a lot more to the gameplay and allow me to tell a bit more of the story as you play through it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder