Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Garland's Quest

Garland's Quest

I think it's a cool game... love the graphics :thumbup:

But i would like to be able to restart a level, because when you get stuck with moving blocks etc... you need to do all previous levels over and over.

Some sound effect's and a simple GUI would make it realy nice.

Keep this project alive. You are almost there!
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Garland's Quest

It is possible to restart the level.. I think pressing left shift does it...

It's in the readme anyway.

I agree, cool game.. lots of brain exercise

Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

Hey chronozphere, thanks!

Jason is right, it's the left shift to restart the current level. I haven't implemented a level password system yet, was saving it for the beta stage where I start making the menu, etc...

I think I'll finish off the level transition sequences and get on with the menu.

Placeholder fonts will suck btw. Anyone know how to procedurally generate nice menus that look like scrolls? [size=9px](envisions a photoshop tutorial somewhere)[/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Garland's Quest

I downloaded the thing, WILL, but haven't tried it out yet. I will, though, probably today or tomorrow. I'm curious to see what this critter's about :)

Garland's Quest

You want a script?...

Well, if you want one which can be opened up and closed which contains the menu items, I'm sure it can be done programmatically..

Otherwise, you're looking to animate something in a 3D package.

Have a look at what I did for Chaos.
    http://www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk/viewdoc.asp?doc=55

I rendered a spell book in Truespace, being lifted up and down, then used OR Blitting of my font onto the page, I got quite a nice ink effect.

I thought it looked quite effective even for a very simple effect.

Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    I downloaded the thing, WILL, but haven't tried it out yet. I will, though, probably today or tomorrow. I'm curious to see what this critter's about
    Great! Give the Player's Manual a quick look over though. It's PDF and it's small and graphical so it won't be monotonous to read.

Plus while I'm working out the beta version it'll be the best way to quickly learn how all the creatures interact with Garland and the world elements.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

Jason, wouldn't you know it, right after I posted that message, I found this Burnt Paper.

The effect works well enough. I skipped the end part for the cheesey burn effect he used and just took the burn tool to it.

Here is a screenie:

Menu BG (Half size from original)

Though the idea of making a book would be cool for a help tutorial if I could put one it... Or maybe between stages where I can put player tips or hints...?

Are we talking animated or single frame opened? If I can get some images and diagrams to come out like old quill drawings. I could keep the appearance of a Wizard's Lore book or something. Which would be super cool.

Mix that with some simple particle 'magic' effects and we'd have a pretty nice immersive menu on our hands. Now I'd only need a nice font to go with it. (What about the one you have there? Are each character a fixed size? Mind if I borrow?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Garland's Quest

Well, you're more than welcome to use any of the graphics from Chaos as placeholder art if you like. All of the files are included in the Zip.

Garland's Quest

The font I used is not fixed width, but all of the widths are defined in a text file.

Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

Hmm ok. Do you think it'll work out if I tried to convert them to fixed width?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast