Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Garland's Quest

Garland's Quest

Not switches flipping switches, I mean more of the binary pattern within switches keying events. For example, I create a level with 4 switches side by side. Only when you set the switches to 1011 (on, off, on, on) does my event happen. Of course, I could put the switches in the four corners instead of side by side

Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

You can set each switch to change the state of any and all of the event triggers in the map.

Each event trigger will have a single number. (up to the max allowed amount)

Now when a switch changes state (from up to down) I will then cycle all the event triggers to toggle by xor-ing all the switch settings together for their affected event triggers.

So lets say we have:

Sw1: affects et1,et2
    Sw2: affects et2

and

et1: default Off
    et2: default On

flipping Sw1 will effect both, but flipping Sw2 will effect only the one.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

I've patched and updated the Garland's Quest Alpha 01 release.

Grab it here: Download 3.35 MB

Changes:

:arrow: fixed texture memory leak.
    :arrow: fixed Garland's starting position reset in new map [size=9px](should not be walking through walls now)[/size]
    :arrow: increased fireball speed slightly
    :arrow: Updated Player's Manual!
    :arrow: new Garland, Scroll & Yellow Drake graphics! All not final, but wip.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Garland's Quest

I was about to complain there is too much text and too little screen shots, but I now see you added something even better going to give at try as soon as I find a quiet moment (in the office)
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

Garland's Quest

I gave it another go.
    The many lives is definitely helpful for testing.

The error problem seems indeed resolved, as I did not came across it anymore.

Some things I did notice:
    I can't close the game using the [x] button at the top. Alt-f4 doesn't seem to be working either.

When resizing the game window, the gamefield isn't increased. I sort of expected to be able to see more, but that wasn't the case

Biggest problem I have now, is that I don't know the solution to all puzzles, but that's probably only a matter of time.

Garland's Quest

WILL, to handle the X or Alt+F4 closing issue check for SDL_QUITEV in your event handler. In JumpStart this is done with the following code:

[pascal]procedure TestEvents;
    begin
    while SDL_PollEvent(@event) > 0 do
    begin
    case event.type_ of
    SDL_QUITEV : CloseGame;
    SDL_KEYUP:
    begin
    Keys[Event.Key.keysym.sym] := False;
    end;
    SDL_KEYDOWN :
    begin
    Keys[Event.Key.keysym.sym] := True;
    end;
    end;
    end;
    end;[/pascal]

Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

Well thats one way to get someone to put in a GUI feature. (just give the guy the code )

Yeah, I guess for testing or simply a quick exit. For all you in-office procrastinators. --err I mean.. taking a break to think of newer and better ways to improve the efficiency of your work people... yeah...

Though to be honest, I've not accounted for someone to be able to simply 'X out' of the game... so later in beta, the X simply might just bring you back to the menu, which imo is odd behavior for a windows game. We shall see.

So I guess noone has read through the new manual? It's not really changed too much, same grammar mistakes , but I've added some of the more up-to-date graphics. Including a hint at what Nem looks like.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Garland's Quest

Alright, no more maximize button [size=9px](or resizing at all)[/size] and the Close (X) button will now exit the game.

Reason for not allowing to maximize the resolution and show more play area? :lol: Well that would be like cheating wouldn't it?

Any ideas for visual queues for off-screen threats? Other than just showing everything? I want to keep the aspect of having to explore the map a little to figure out the puzzles.

A part of my idea is to add a required/trained ability to use your spatial awareness and memorization skills in some of these puzzles.

Otherwise it's just your average ordinary, here is the whole ball of wax, not figure it out before you even move. Instead now you have to immerse yourself in the puzzle and discovery it as if you where actually in it yourself.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Garland's Quest

Argh! I need more crates to stop that one-eyed guy! :doh:

In my opinion, this game could be perfect for a porting to NDS
    Let's figure: the upper screen is for the game itself; the touch screen could be used for things like a dungeon's map (only the part already discovered, and -maybe- for writing down some notes directly on the map, like zelda). But I'm drooling about another idea: the touch screen could be switched into a "Magic" mode, that could allow to draw magical sequences on the screen, with the stilus used like a magic wand :drool:

WILL, I could try to mix SDL for nds and SDL for pascal, if you think that such a port could be nice
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Garland's Quest

Yeah, have an option to turn on "Easy" mode. In easy mode show arrows for all enemies that "Walk" around the edges of the screen. You could also show a mini-map in "Easy" mode. That also makes the game more playable for younger persons.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast