Thread: Game Development Foundations - Article 1 published

Game Development Foundations - Article 1 published

Game Development Foundations is a series of articles that I have been working on focusing on the things that I feel are missing in single developer or small projects. In it I will be covering things such as Supporting Documentation, Backend Fore-thought, Marketing your game, and many other topics.

The first article is now up here on PGD. Project Design and Documentation covers Supporting Documentation and will be used as a foundation for all future articles. When I get to talking about Marketing (something I have quite a bit of experience with) we will fall heavily on this Article. Give it a read and let me know what you think.

Articles Section -> Article 1 - Project Design and Documentation

About the Author
    Well, I’m not a game developer/designer, and I’ve never had a top title (at least not in my name). What I have done is spent countless hours reading about development (game, product, company, campaign, and many other types of development), the pitfalls, and the post-mortems. In reality, I’m a Business Systems Analyst at a very large marketing firm. My job is to know how to implement what the customer wants, to make suggestions, and when they don’t know, tell them how to build a product that will sell and attract attention.

I’ve worked on top selling games, low budget games, low budget marketing campaigns (think you can’t do marketing without 1,000’s of dollars, think again) and many other products. In fact, you have probably seen, own, or been exposed to a product that I worked on.
    I’ve helped design (and in fact been the lead developer and architect) on 100’s of products and applications on the market today. I’m just trying to give something back for everything I’ve learned over the years.

Wow,.. 14 pages :shock:

I've quickly browsed through them as I'm currently at work.

One tiny thing I noticed is the font change at page 7. But that's actually more of a editor thingy.
    I'll definitely give this a more thorough look later this evening.

Yeah, 14 pages is a bit much, but I wanted to get everything out up front. If you look at the end of the article there is a link to the origional Doc file (if you prefer reading offline or printing).

Please, let me know what you think.