Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Force Feedback dll - Struggling a year now.

Blog Entries

Force Feedback dll - Struggling a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelus
    Just for clarification since I've never worked with it myself, is Forced Feedback exclusive to DirectInput?
    Yes, since it is a DirectX feature.
    :? So no FFB on Linux I guess... I'll have to keep that in mind I guess.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I believe there were headers for linux somewhere. FFB exists for linux, it just does not use directInput.

Man, I still can't believe how hard it is to implement Force Feedback into my game by making a dll with Delphi. If you search for C++ tutorials, you'll find anything but nothing for Delphi! That's obsurd.

Blog Entries

I use OpenGL and SDL for my games and I plan on porting to Linux/Mac OS X so DirectInput is out of the question for me.

Though I can see 1 or 2 games which would make FFB neat to add to. [size=9px](With the option to turn it off of course as some may not like it.)[/size]

But if there is not a non-DirectX solution then I'll just have to forget about it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

But if there is not a non-DirectX solution then I'll just have to forget about it.
    Why?

I just figured out that joystick and gamepad force feedback handlings are different? :shock:

In DelphiX there is a Dinput component which has a list for importing .ffe (force feedback effect files). I tried to import a ffe which worked with the trial dll I used and threw out an invalid stream error! Is it because DelphiX FFB is meant only for Joysticks and not gamepads!? :shock: :shock:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelus
    Why?
    Well...
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    I use OpenGL and SDL for my games and I plan on porting to Linux/Mac OS X so DirectInput is out of the question for me.
    ...I think that about sums it up.

As nice as FFB is (Joystick or gamepad, which in it's self is an interesting issue), I'd much prefer to make my game than spend all that time just making the gamepad/joystick vibrate. :? So unless it's readily available for me to use as a cross-platform library, I'll likely not be seeking it out.

But more on topic with your discussion; I think the main reason for Joystick and Gamepad FFB being so different is that with a joystick you can simulate flying a real plane or firing a gun where there is either mechanical forces or kickback based on the simulated device you are controlling. Where as with a gamepad, the simulation is somewhat lessened and you're focusing more on max control functioning than simulation.

So in short, my theory is that the two types of controllers have a different branch in function so different usage of FFB.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

In DelphiX there is a Dinput component which has a list for importing .ffe (force feedback effect files). I tried to import a ffe which worked with the trial dll I used and threw out an invalid stream error! Is it because DelphiX FFB is meant only for Joysticks and not gamepads!? Shocked Shocked
    I doubt it... i own a speedlink gamepad and i can have tested it with delphix. As far as i can remember, it worked :?
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

chronozphere do you happen to have an .ffe file that worked with DelphiX?

The directX SDK contains a force feedback editor which works for me.

I couldn't get the Delphix condition example working but the Machinegun example DID work :lol:
    The delphix-effect-editor did work but does not alway's work :? Don't know why.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

DelphiX editor does not work for me.

I can't find the fedit.exe in my sdk. Can you please upload a ffe file that works for you?

Just tested... and it seems that all the FFE files that came with DelphiX worked :lol:

At the moment i dont have time to upload it.... you probably allready have the files that work for me (just the delphix sample FFE's).

This might be a local problem with your PC.
    Does your gamepad work with other games/apps who have FFB?? please try to find that out.

If i'm ready to code the input-module for my engine.. i'll give you some FFB sources which work for me, if i can make it work. :razz:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast