Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EyeCandy Contest

EyeCandy Contest

Did you know about the "FreePascal EyeCandy Contest"?

Copied from the Lazarus Forums:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP
    I'd like to show to some people that FreePascal (and Lazarus) can do good graphical and efficient things Surprised)
    So I organise an eye candy contest, with some simple rules, and I'll give three rewards ($150, $100 and $50) for the three best programs.

The rules :
    -The end of the contest is December 15th (i may change the date if it shows to be way too short)
    -The source code of the program (and used pictures + ressources) will be posted on Internet under the GPL, so be sure of what you use

-The program MUST : *Compile and work in fullscreen mode under Ubuntu 6.10 (i386), in at least 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768 with Gnome or KDE
    *Be readable (the will be used as a tutorial for graphics with FP)

-The program COULD :
    *Also compile under Win32 and/or MacOS (not necessary but will be good to show how powerful FPC is)
    *Support some options : printing the FPS, a max FPS limit, or the use of a "bpm" global (to synchronise it with music)
    *Be used as a screensaver in Linux

You can use anything you want : GLScene, Jedi-SDL, etc...
    The test machine will be an Athlon 64 3800+, 1Go DDR, Geforce 7900GTO with nvidia proprietary drivers.

What is an eye candy ?
    http://rss-glx.sourceforge.net/screenshots.shtml
    These are Eye-Candy ScreenSavers Wink

Ask if you had questions !
    Until now nobody has submitted any entry, which is a bit disapointing. If you are interested, let MarcP know, he will consider a two months extension.

EyeCandy Contest

So how do you write a screensaver in Linux with Free Pascal?
    [size=10px]"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac[/size]

EyeCandy Contest

And it seems we are past the deadline.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

EyeCandy Contest

Quote Originally Posted by cairnswm
    And it seems we are past the deadline.
    As you can see in the thread on the Lazarus forum, MarcP is willing to extend the dead line by two months. But if nobody is interested, ....

EyeCandy Contest

I'd have loved to give it a try, but I dont have a Linux box available so not much point in giving it a try.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Blog Entries

EyeCandy Contest

Wow, I can't believe that noone ever tells me about this stuff.

This is defiantly newsworthy, I've moved it to the Events forum and made it a news item. Hopefully this will bring more attention to the event.

Any more things like this, please surely let us know about it here, Vincent. Good eye.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

EyeCandy Contest

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    I've moved it to the Events forum and made it a news item.
    Ah, you moved it, that is why I couldn't find the topic anymore after I got the reply notification.

BTW: Does this forum have a "view post since last visit"? I already found the Search button hidden in the 'electron tube' or 'water tank', but not the "view post since last visit" like teh one on the Lazarus Forums.

EyeCandy Contest

I see "View Forum post since last visit" is on the news page, but not on the Forum page. Well, maybe that is the correct place for posts since last visit, they are new after all. I just expected them somewhere on the forum page. :?

Blog Entries

EyeCandy Contest

Ah, yeah there is a 'view post since last visit' link that supposed to be on the forums page, but there is a tiny login bug we have yet to squash.

So anyone here gonna slam-dance this compo? I'm sure that a graphics guy and a Linux guy can team up and/or a Linux guy can help the graphics ppl come up with a compatible template that will compile nicely.

Personally, I'd have gone with the Linux & Win32s platform screensavers as it's hard to find Pascal game programmers working in Linux these days. With a few exceptions of course.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

EyeCandy Contest

Would be a nice PGD compo to build a screensaver

Somehow I always thinking on a tank screen saver which all clients connect to a server and battle it out (without user input)
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast