The scenario of the game is semi-realistic, which basically means that I only took the current world political situation and made a scenario of my own out of it. So if you talk about how e.g. the division of the worldmap, please bear in mind that it hasn't got much to do with how our world is divided. When creating the regions I actually didn't thought of populations or other regional stuff (like e.g. natural ressources, historical importance, etc.). And then I just made the new "regions" so that they are around the same in size and such, I didn't put too much thought into newly dividing up the world.
And moreover the whole scenario is hostile. I know that such a scenario will be very unlikely cause of e.g. world economics and other ties (e.g NATO, the UN, G8 and so on), but I need such a scenario for my game idea to work.
So maybe it would be best to think of that earth as an earth somewhere around 70 years in the future but within a parallel universe, which in terms of technology evolved very much like ours but in a much more hostile way. I mean today there are still hundreds of conflicts and wars, but they're all on a more or less smaller scale.

And as for the nuclear war, you're right. At first I wanted the player to be able to build silos for nuclear rockets in each region, making up for a permanent nuclear war. But I scraped that idea, cause as you said, that would make all other military aspects useless and it would end in a fest of spamming nuclear rockets around the world with letting all other game features aside.
And so in the current game draft (maybe I'll still change this at some point) there are no global nuclear weapons when you start the game. First you have to do some research (which will take some time) and then you can set your global project to create a nuclear weapon. The global project is kinda like research, but you only have one project (out of the different ones, with each nation having special projects besides some that all nations can use) that needs a lot of ressources and time to develop. So if you have researched all needed technologies and have put all the time and ressources needed into a global nuclear weapon you can finally use it. But I'll tweak that in a way that it'll become impossible to use this in the very early stage of the game, and after one use you have to again put time and ressources into the project, so that it also can't be reused instantly.

And thanks for that criticism, as constructive criticism is something I always welcome!