Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 87 of 87

Thread: Projekt "W"

  1. #81
    Looking awesome mate!

    EDIT: I don't know if you use installed components in TurboDelphi, but I wonder if you could convert the game to Lazarus?

    cheers,
    Paul

  2. #82
    This phase 2 video really blows me away, awesome work Sascha !
    Last edited by WILL; 22-04-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: I just had to add "away"... for probably obviously reasons. :)
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    EDIT: I don't know if you use installed components in TurboDelphi, but I wonder if you could convert the game to Lazarus?
    Yes, I tried (several times. Some time back and recenlty with a current release of Lazarus) and I don't think Lazarus is suited well for such a big project. Though it didn't crash as often as Turbo Delphi but FPCs linker is rather slow compared to the one from Delphi (though that's a minor issue), but the biggest drawback is debugging. Delphi's debugging features are fantastic, and especially when doing complex AI stuff you can't visualize it's great to have such an advanced debugger, and that's the biggest thing I miss when using Lazarus. So for the time being I only use Lazarus for smaller demos and stuff.
    Last edited by Sascha Willems; 22-04-2011 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems View Post
    Yes, I tried (several times. Some time back and recenlty with a current release of Lazarus) and I don't think Lazarus is suited well for such a big project. Though it didn't crash as often as Turbo Delphi but FPCs linker is rather slow compared to the one from Delphi (though that's a minor issue), but the biggest drawback is debugging. Delphi's debugging features are fantastic, and especially when doing complex AI stuff you can't visualize it's great to have such an advanced debugger, and that's the biggest thing I miss when using Lazarus. So for the time being I only use Lazarus for smaller demos and stuff.
    Yeah, I have noticed that the Lazarus debugger (GDB) doesn't work so well sometimes too...

    Also a big annoyance for me is that most of the time ctrl+click on a variable doesn't do anything (or let you in the first place), and typing a variable name then the '.' doesn't seem to bring up the list of properties/methods/fields

    cheers,
    Paul

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems View Post
    Yes, I tried (several times. Some time back and recenlty with a current release of Lazarus) and I don't think Lazarus is suited well for such a big project. Though it didn't crash as often as Turbo Delphi but FPCs linker is rather slow compared to the one from Delphi (though that's a minor issue), but the biggest drawback is debugging. Delphi's debugging features are fantastic, and especially when doing complex AI stuff you can't visualize it's great to have such an advanced debugger, and that's the biggest thing I miss when using Lazarus. So for the time being I only use Lazarus for smaller demos and stuff.
    Yeah, I have noticed that the Lazarus debugger (GDB) doesn't work so well sometimes too...

    Also a big annoyance for me is that most of the time ctrl+click on a variable doesn't do anything (or let you in the first place), and typing a variable name then the '.' doesn't seem to bring up the list of properties/methods/fields

    cheers,
    Paul

  6. #86
    Just a quick headsup after a longer period of silence to show you guys that "Phase 2" is still alive. I've posted a new video of the current build :



    As you may noticed I redid the whole user interface again, as the "old" design didn't prove to be as smooth and user-friendly as I wanted it to be, so heavy-harted I threw it away and did a new UI from scratch. But the good thing is that I also redid the UI for the mainmenu, battlefield and endgame, so that the UI now feels and looks like it's made from one piece, giving it a "noble" look throughout the whole game.

    Other than that a lot of things happened behind the scenes, especially when it comes to performance. The UI was performing pretty bad and shifted the performance limitateion to the CPU, so that even a new graphics card didn't change the FPS much. So I spent several weeks optimizing it (caching texture IDs and vertex arrays, display lists, optimized hit tests, etc.) which made up at least 200% better performance depending on the scenario.

    There is still much to do (especially in terms of content), but it's steadily growing towards at least a beta release. Can't say when due to the fact that real-life is taking a lot of time, and I often prefer to relax from it in front of my PS3 instead of hacking lines of code into Delphi. But it's moving along and looking great, so hopefully I'll have a beta ready for early 2012!

  7. #87

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comodo SSL