Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bored...

Bored...

I have no computer related education either. Actually I don't yet have any education.
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Bored...

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    It's boring to sit down behind a desk recording invoices and quarreling with people that does not want to pay his dues :fuzzy:
    :shock: What a wasted talent!
    Legolas, I don’t know in what stage of your life you’re in, and I certainly don't want to give you an advice, only my point of view.
    If you know what you would like doing, and you know its not what you’re doing right now then what you should do is quite clear.. Especially if your target is within reach, and it is.

I agree with WILL that education is a great corner stone, but nothing more then that. A portfolio of completed projects can be much more impressive then a BA..

[size=9px]Am I abusing the Bold power?[/size]
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

Bored...

Quote Originally Posted by tanffn
    [size=9px]Am I abusing the Bold power?[/size]
    Only slight.
    Your relpy has nothing but truth in it, though

I can honestly say that my current job is the result of what I did in my spare time. They did of course ask about my education, but the demos had a lot more value to them.

Bored...

Ah, boredom at work, I know it well. Programming is my main hobby but I hated doing it as a job (actually 3 different jobs over 4 years), because:

1) I spent much of my time not doing programming, but rather doing other things I dislike, such as technical support (i.e. dealing with users who ranged from nice to psychopathic), system administration, documentation writing, software testing, sitting in endless and wasteful meetings, having to learn about subjects which hold no interest for me at all (i.e. mostly accounting stuff). These tasks were boring for me, as well as not easy to do, which is worse than boring and easy to do.

2) I'm an exploratory kind of programmer. I might encounter a subject that's interesting, e.g. cloud physics, and then try to simulate it by writing a program. In the course of writing this program, I might need to update my TGA unit (for cloud textures). In the course of doing that, I might try to solve the problem of reducing a 24-bit image to an 8-bit image, i.e. colour quantisation, and in the course of that, I might sit down and learn something about colour theory. I never had the chance to do this sort of thing in a programming job because of time constraints and because it was imperative that I focus on a specific goal and complete it, and not veer off track like I'm apt to do.

So I decided to switch to a boring, low-pressure and easy-to-do job (I was very fortunate to land it), doing no more than 4 days per week, with 6 weeks of holiday, and a very flexible work roster. Sure, I don't get paid as much, but I can now spend a lot of time engaging in my favourite hobby. I don't get the feeling of being unfulfilled by my job, because I get fulfilled by the 7*24 - 36 = 132 hours per week when I'm not doing my job. I work to live, not the other way around, and my happiness does not derive from comparing myself to other people.
    [size=10px]&quot;In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it&#39;s the exact opposite.&quot; -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Bored...

Quote Originally Posted by JSoftware
    I tried the AVRco pascal compiler which I didn't really like(it's SW too so I can't really use it). I couldn't find any other though so I hope you can enlighten me
    We use the compilers form MGL Software (Rainier Lamers), the site is SLOW but it will eventually load.
    Hope it helps you.
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*

Bored...

That looks very good

Now I'm just waiting for the avr page to load

Edit: ah it's sw too :cry:
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Bored...

cragwolf, I love your solution and im glad to hear its working for you. actually I’ve been thinking about something similar. My “fantasy” is to start a pub-coffee-place-restaurant in Brazil, and in the spare time (which plan to have a lot of) work on my own projects. Thats the plan anyway, for a modest fee anyone can borrow my fantasy

I do believe ideally the work place should offer you a lot (excitement, challenge, social contact, environment, etcetc), after all you ([size=9px]at least me[/size]) spend in your work-place more hours then in your home.

Defacto ([size=9px]again from my perspective[/size]), you don’t always get to do what you want ([size=9px]is bad thing?[/size]), and you do get side tracked to do hostile things, like, TPS reports. But in the end of the day, the office/work-place should inrichen you, not only on your specific ‘job’.

My problem is that I have no idea what I like to do... I enjoy doing a lot of things but I non of which I can honestly call “my career”.. I have the feeling I do what I do because I always done it.. and not because this is my life “path”.
    Sadly im not getting any younger [size=9px](24[/size]) and I still don’t know what I want to do when I will “grow up”.

Wow, it turned to be my first posted rant! :?

[size=7px]I didn’t want italic to feel bad, but I do think bold is better..[/size]

Bored...

No, not really a rant. Not enough ignorance to qualify for a rant.

As for my "solution", it could vaporise at any moment, thanks to the inherent uncertainty of the industry I work in. Then I'll probably be forced to work a stressful 5-day-a-week job like almost everyone else, at a lower rate of pay, too. So I should be thankful for my current situation, and make the most out of it, except I'm too much of a prognosticator for that to happen.

Oh yeah, I'm roughly a decade older than you, and I also still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. But I don't really care about that any more. My hobbies are enough to keep me satisfied.
    [size=10px]&quot;In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it&#39;s the exact opposite.&quot; -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123