Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bored...

Bored...

I'm so bored, I just checked the stats for my site www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk and it turns out that over the last 12 months, my old delphix game Guns was downloaded a total of 1138 times. Now, in net terms, it's not many, but considering that it's had no marketing at all, just referrals from this site and a couple of others.. I'm fairly impressed... on top of that, it was posted years ago. Only half as many people downloaded the source code, so most people wanted a real game I think.

So if I can generate a similar amount of interest for Guns Reloaded, I'll be quite happy.. especially if most of those translate into sales, although I've read somewhere that only a small portion of downloads actually translate into sales.

My DelphiX tutorials have been constantly popular too. Over 700 people downloaded the source files for first tutorial.

Blog Entries

Bored...

Hey great news about CBC's popularity.

I have to admit, I'm probably one of those numbers. (Guns)

You know, less than 45% of PGD Members actually post. And you don't want to know the rate of posting member accounts to spam accounts. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    So if I can generate a similar amount of interest for Guns Reloaded, I'll be quite happy.. especially if most of those translate into sales, although I've read somewhere that only a small portion of downloads actually translate into sales.
    It all comes down to marketing I believe. You game will do better the more it's exposed to the public. So take advantage of almost every opportunity to get your game seen, heard of and reviewed. You better believe thats what I'm going to be doing with Garland's Quest.

Whoever markets your game make sure that they push it like crack. :lol: Well at least they are doing a good job of getting it seen everywhere they can and taking advantage of opportunities as they pop up. Also. prompt them, if they are not selling your game, it will not sell. Unfortunately even the good games don't sell themselves.

Now... if only I could track how many times my game's Alpha downloads.... [size=9px](*ahem* New Garland's Quest Alpha 02 *ahem*)[/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Bored...

Now... if only I could track how many times my game's Alpha downloads.... Smile
    Doesn't your hosting company offer any kind of stats facility?

As far as marketing ideas go.. so far I've thought of...

Telling people on forums
    Making a video of the game and putting it on YouTube
    Getting in touch with someone like ReflexiveGames

I'm sure there are a load of ways of marketing the game.

Blog Entries

Bored...

Another way, which is a little bit costly, is have little ads put up... Bus ads, billboard ads, etc...

Also magazines... online magazines, like Dev.Mag, etc...

Thing is ya gotta pitch them and do it lots.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    Doesn't your hosting company offer any kind of stats facility?
    Webalizer and some other package... can't remember the name.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Bored...

What we need is for a magazine like Linux Format to run a feature on Lazarus and time a demo with that... Here's Lazarus and by the way, here's a game written using it... which wouldn't be a lie as such, it started out in Delphi, moved to Kylix, then to Lazarus, now to Turbo Explorer with Lazarus for Mac and Linux builds :-)

Blog Entries

Bored...

:lol: All my games are made with Lazarus now. Garland's Quest, Subject 33 and Cyber-Crisis.

And I'm still holding out on my 'Sky Blast Engine', though it's a mess right now. Oh and then there's OpenMOD...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Bored...

Quote Originally Posted by JSoftware
    I have to use C though as I couldn't find any good pascal compilers for the avr series of microcontrollers.. :cry:
    I’m also currently writing in C for an AD DSP and in java [size=7px](no words can describe how much I hate java!)[/size] for an Dalas-maxim microcontroller.
    But for AVR microcontrollers I have a great Pascal compiler I’ve been using, I’ll update the message when I get back to work (sunday).

Sadly you normally don’t have the possibility to write an easter egg

If you have feel bored, or if you ever feel sadden, you can find a refuge in
    The food, the bad, and the fugly
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

Bored...

Fugly: "Sour Cream & Onion" Pringles with Nutella
    I don't know how but I feel adventurous

Now back to work... I tried the AVRco pascal compiler which I didn't really like(it's SW too so I can't really use it). I couldn't find any other though so I hope you can enlighten me
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Bored...

I'm a bit envious... I would like to work in a software house, because programming is the job I like to do and that I can do better, but at this time I'm an accounting employee and I can't see the way I could change this job
    It's boring to sit down behind a desk recording invoices and quarreling with people that does not want to pay his dues :fuzzy:
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Blog Entries

Bored...

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    ...I can't see the way I could change this job
    One word thats easier to say than it is to do... school & keep building a resume.

I'm in the extremely fortunate position that I have not had any professional schooling... ever... and I now have an IT-based job. Mind you, I've slaved on PGD, other projects and did work here and there with research that built up my experience, which you can't get in school, granted. But it wasn't an easy route. And it would definately not be my first choice should that I invent a time-machine and do it all over again with.

Seriously though, if you want it, get it. And stay on it long enough to get it. Its all a matter of staying with it and sticking it out through the tough stuff.

Of course the job searching it's self is another matter.

End of pep-talk. *blinking cursor*
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast