Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Project Need Advice On

My New Project Need Advice On

Hey Im New To Pascal Just Started it In School and yea i have an idea but im not sure on the structure i have a basic layout but its a bit crazy
    im not that gud yet but ok enogh about me heres my a idea

a game where some one can juggle virtualy and learn the motions im not sure fully if im going to have a changing accelration to gravitiy to help simulate the effect of how 3 or 4 ball juggling works but im new and need advice plz help thnx
    Practice makes Perfect But
    <br />Nobody is Perfect
    <br />So why Bother

simulating forces on rigid bodies like juggling balls would be pretty easy. The hard part that I can't realize is how you would make the user juggle with a keyboard and a mouse? :shock:
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Owwww My Bad i Forgot to Mention Not Using a Mouse lol remember im the noob but im still a bit unsure on my structure i have a few ways i can do it but im not really sure you no
    <br />Nobody is Perfect
    <br />So why Bother

Using the webcam you can grab the user image and render it in the screen + the balls. Monitor his movement and allowing him to control the ‘fake’ objects (i.e balls).
    It can be fun to write..
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

This is essentially the way that the EyeToy works. It compares each frame to the previous frame to determine what has moved and can then use that to create some collision boundaries.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I was thinking to take an image of the empty room, make the delta with the new image (with a person) run an edge detection filter (to know the boundary). very basic.. no need to find the eyes, or relative size (to try and interpolate 3D from 2D, ball getting bigger or smaller)
    [size=9px]BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK
    <br />d s-- : a24 GB GCS GTW GE C++ P L+ W++ N+ K- w++++ M- PS+ PE+ Y- t+ 5+++ X+ R*
    <br />tv b+ DI++ D+ e++ h+ G-
    <br />END GEEK CODE BLOCK[/size]
    <br />Create your own GeekCode block at: <a href="">...</a>

yea these are all good ideas but if we refer back to the top "im New to Pascal" and all can i get some links to maybe source code or syntax help in some way would be Great Thnx
    <br />Nobody is Perfect
    <br />So why Bother

Blog Entries

Hmm... well leaving alone the super-highly technical physics engines that NASA could use to launch, orbit and send their rokets into other galaxies...

I'd suggest simple physics for the balls to be lobbed into the air and gravity to pull them back down.

One of Many Possible Methods I'm Suggesting:

Then have 2 platforms [size=9px](aka game hands)[/size] that can move side to side within a limited range on each half of the screen. [size=9px](left hand for left side, right hand for right side only)[/size] Now to successfully keep the balls in the air you have to 'bump' them back up with your hands. The object will go back up in the air and [size=9px](hopefully)[/size] over towards the other hands side.

You can use random values for how much the balls speed will travel the other way AND/OR have it influenced by at what point the ball and the hand 'connected' while the hand was performing it's 'bump'. ie. measure the height at which the collision happened with the hand and make a speed calculation based on that height from the normal setting hand possition. This will make it so that the same code to 'bounce' the ball back up can be used to make the ball tap off the hand and fall on the ground too.

You could give the player a score based on each time a ball is touched by a hand you get a point value. Add more balls that value goes up or the heavier the ball/object (people can juggle more than just balls!) the more points. Of course the weight of the object will influence the speed and height that it will travel, etc, etc... so it's your choice how complex you'll want it.

Hope this helps. Or at least give you enough to go on that you can come up with your ideas. This is how I would try to do it if I wanted to keep the code simple.

Oh, and Welcome to PGD!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Oh, I forgot game controls...

Of course not using a mouse this isn't too hard. (You'd probably need 2 mice anyhow ) You just need two (what I call) arrow 'T's. You must have played at least one game where you had to use the arrow keys to move up, down, left and right... well the keys form in an upside down T right? Same same with the wasd combo... well make two of 'em! wasd and ijkl OR whatever else you feel will be most comfortable for the player.

You'll only need the LEFT, DOWN and RIGHT keys on each though... DOWN will be the 'bump' control.

Should make for an interesting test of hand-eye co-ordination. Anyone else know of a game like this?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

The nearest thing I've seen to that is something made by a friend, what he did was 3d pong except that you controlled both ends & the paddles were curved while the whole thing rotated to random angles during the game. You gained points for every successive hit from the second paddle & most points win.
    I do my hacking with an axe, its alot faster than a computer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast