Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Annual PGD Competition due to start Feb 1st...

3rd Annual PGD Competition due to start Feb 1st...

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez
    Can somebody explain to me in what consists this competition? I have participated in other as SpeedHack, TINS, ScreenHack...
    As savage wrote, the finer details will be made available in a few weeks time.
    However, judging by PGD's previous competitions, there will probably be a theme of some sort which you will need to incorporate into your game.

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez
    Can somebody explain to me in what consists this competition? I have participated in other as SpeedHack, TINS, ScreenHack...
    Take a look at the previous competitions: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/competitions.php

Thanks. I think I get it.

When it says "the main code for the game had to be written in Pascal", does it means I can use C to write the the engine, or LUA to write the AI?
    No signature provided yet.

My personal opinion:

The engine can be considered part of the main code. I don't think this should be any trouble for a programmer, there are many good game engines written in Pascal available.

Scripts seem more supplemental code to me. The scripting engine on the other hand, is a hard question. I would consider it part of the main code, but I know there are not much available scripting engines written in Pascal yet, so this would pose a barrier.

Blog Entries

In my talks with Dom,

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    savage: yes a media API with a Pascal interface is fine, Ported to Pascal projects like Quake 2 or Quake 3 engines are also fine as they are written in Pascal.
    savage: As long as they don't submit the port we can accept it
    savage: ie, that they have added content gameplay etc. Just changing the graphics in the ports does not count as a valid submission
    ?ëu?±o: Traveler is absolutely right, there will be a gameplay theme you'll have to follow. The specific rules of the competition do not get released until just before the competition starts to keep everyone on equal footing as far as design goes.

Other information will updated as things start to form. Prizes, judges, etc... but first and foremost on the starting day of the competition are the rules and regulations governing the event.

Plus this year we'll be adding a competition entry agreement. Nothing restrictive on you guys, just gives us permission to use your entries for distribution and advertising for future competitions...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I want to participate this year. It's exciting.

I have an engine I'm writting in Delphi, which is not complete, but I think it has enough power to build a game... is it necessary to release the engine's source code? I want to sell it commercially later on. Since it's made in Delphi, I could just release the .dcu files and the source of the main program, is it vaild?? :?

You will probably have to give PGD rights to redistribute your game (or related materials like screenshots or perhaps even videos) for promotional activities. But, if it is anything like last year then it's not necessary to release the sourcecode as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    You will probably have to give PGD rights to redistribute your game (or related materials like screenshots or perhaps even videos) for promotional activities. But, if it is anything like last year then it's not necessary to release the sourcecode as well.
    That would be great. I have no problem on that as long as my engine' source is closed. Indeed PGD is helping indie developers with those promotional activities, there is no reason not to give them the rights.

Blog Entries

cronodragon, I think we both feel the same way about that, however some may not so there will be a new disclaimer to read and by registering, as per the agreement, you automatically are claiming to agree.

I think I can speak for Dom when I say that we are leaning the way of allowing closed source for those that want to later use their engines for commercial purposes. Last year it had a positive effect so we will likely continue to do so unless we can for see other reasons to change it back.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

IF you must release your source for the compo, I think you can create an dll from your engine and release the game's source.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast