Quote Originally Posted by WILL
My only issue with v-sync is that it limits you to the refresh rate of your monitor does it not?

It would be safe to say that in most cases that frame rate would be a mere 60 FPS, no?
You know, I see statements like that and I have to laugh...

Yes, it limits you to the refresh rate - and that's a GOOD thing! Why would you waste processor time rendering frames that will never even be SHOWN?

Literally, if you render 170fps and your refresh rate is only 85hz, you're only showing HALF of what you render... a total waste.

Refresh rate is how often the screen is redrawn - any 'tearing' you see is because you are trying to render a frame in the middle of the screen redraw - there is NO POINT to rendering faster than the refresh rate - EVER, unless of course you WANT it to look like crap when anything moves.

Just as there's little reason to ever doing anything higher than 60hz for the majority of people, since even then it's just a barely noticable flicker... and anything higher than 85hz is bragging, not fact since that's outside the realm of human vision (just as anything over 18khz is outside the realm of hearing)