It's been talked about over and over, but it seems that now we're going to see it finally come to light. The idea... Lazarus, the Game Developers Edition.

I was talking with Vincent Snijders on IRC not too long ago and I brought up the PGD Annual.
<__WILL__> PGD Annual is about to start, you as excited as I am?
<fpcfan> no :-)
...to be fair, I don't think it was even possible anyhow.

Well after a bit of blabbing, we both came up with an idea for a new distro made specifically with the PGD Annual in mind. Most people that use Laz or even just FPC for game development don't really have a 'full suite' of tools and/or libs specifically for game development.

We hope to end this by making a special edition that will suit not only say GLScene users, but JEDI-SDL, DelphiX, Omega, Asphyre, DirectX, Lua, OpenGL, DirectX9/10, Newton and OpenAL users and so on. You can sort of think of it as the first all-inclusive out of the box edition of Lazarus that we all have been waiting for. :thumbup:

I've created a page on the Lazarus Wiki for the planned list of included features. We'll be pulling participation from as many people as we can to make it happen.

What I'd really like to know though is what do you think would be the best set of standard headers/libraries to use considering max supported platforms [size=9px](minus the DirectX-based libs)[/size] stability, completeness and compatibility...

See the Lazarus Wiki page on the new edition for more information: Lazarus - Game Developers Edition