Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lazarus - Game Developers Edition

Lazarus - Game Developers Edition

Quote Originally Posted by dmantione
    Sure, they do, but I wanted to say about 75% of the obstacle has been taken away.
    75% of the obstacle removed is the same as 0 % removed => compilation failed due to linking errors.

IOW, if a solution can be found for the remaining 25%, I see no problem applying the same techniques to the other 75%.

I also am unsure of what OpenAL headers to use. OpenAL.org themselves point to noeska's headers, but I don't know how cross-platform compatible they are and I want to hear what others feel about this before I make it official.
    I did test it in the beginning. After moving an .so file it worked for an basic test. I have not tested it since so i don not know if they still work under linux. Do test them and do update them if you feel like it. If needed i give write access to http://webpm.noeska.net/.

The idea of game developers lazures will compareable with xna studio of microsoft?

Also it would be nice if the gba/nds will be suportable from it.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Blog Entries

Hey Maarten, sorry for the late response.

Lazarus Game Developers Edition will be the first all-in-one, out-of-the-box version of the IDE/compiler suite to support all the major libraries, tools and binaries to do game development under Lazarus.

If you go to the wiki page it lists all the intended features we wish to include. It's quite extensive. We do however need to select the best of all the SDL, DirectX, OpenGL, OpenAL, etc... API libraries to be used and some of that includes testing and making updates/tweeks.

So if people want to help the best thing is to help verify what works with what and what is better than what to help us determine the best possible libraries to include in the new edition.

Unfortunately, XNA is off the list as it would require .NET and FPC is not .NET capable without a major rewrite. For that you'll have to rely on Chrome.

Anyone else interested in this new/exciting edition of Lazarus?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

As we talked about over IM, I'm interested, but I'll believe it when I see it. Very few people have actually made Lazarus cross compile from Windows to Linux, Linux to Windows, or worse yet either of those to Mac. As I said, I'd love to see it, and it would become my IDE of choice (I think), but I'm a devils advocate at heart :twisted:

What I see missing from your package idea are scripting languages. Here are my suggestions: DWS II, Pascal for Delphi (Lazarus Edition), Lua, and if you could get the people at paxScript to give up a free edition for your build that would be great as well.

As for demos, I'd be happy to give up what I have available. Pretty much everything is around SDL, Lua, or generic graphics but its all up for grabs.

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    As we talked about over IM, I'm interested, but I'll believe it when I see it. Very few people have actually made Lazarus cross compile from Windows to Linux, Linux to Windows, or worse yet either of those to Mac. As I said, I'd love to see it, and it would become my IDE of choice (I think), but I'm a devils advocate at heart :twisted:
    From linux to windows is easy. Lazarus release for linux consists of several rpms, one of them a crosswin32 rpm.

From windows to linux is more difficult as soon as you link to shared libaries. AFAIK you have to match the exact version of the shared library of the target, because on linux linking is not done on name of the exported function, but on the binary offset. (Please correct me if wrong). So the pain is in the linking, not the compilation per se.

The solution would be to somehow figure out all needed .so's of the target machine and copy them to the host.

Fran

Not sure what part of this doesn't work, this isn't my field of expertise, but it seems like what's needed is an internal loader/linker...

1: Add link_library() as first instruction of fpc for unix
    2: Link_Library:
    - list of external libraries and function names, with their associated offset in program code
    - replace code bytes with found library offsets

I've barely worked with unix yet, but i seem to remember that loaded code is in writable memory pages, so that should (could?) work. Or at worst... i once did a scripting engine that would use fpc to compile the script to a dll, would then load the dll in user memory (not using dll functions) and manually patch the offsets. I'm quite sure something like this could be done...

I don't have much time right now, but in a couple of months i'll likely join the fpc cross compile effort since i'll need it for a major project next year and delphi... just doesn't deliver outside of windows...

ps: not related at all but i wanted to make a new account since this is an old nick i don't really use but when i create an account i get kicked out with no error messages and a non working "new" account... an ideas??

Blog Entries

Cross-compiling obviously is a hot topic with regards to this release.

Well keep in mind guys that we're going to be making a Windows port first THEN we'll eventually do a Linux and Mac set of packages afterwards.

Windows because it's the system that'll be easiest and is most popular for game dev in Object Pascal.

The only cross-compiling for the first release will be GBA, NDS and possibly GP2X along with PalmOS and WinCE(PocketPC).

Vincent, what tool is being used to package Lazarus? I think I should get familiar with it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Vincent, what tool is being used to package Lazarus? I think I should get familiar with it.
    Inno setup.

The current installer scripts are in lazarus\tools\install\win (or win32 for 0.9.20).

Vincent

Blog Entries

Excellent. Should make putting together an installer package easy then.

I guess I'll see what libraries are Lazarus ready as a start. From there I can tell what work needs to be done to make the rest Lazarus capable.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

So how blasphemous would it be to do a standard install of 0.9.20, install everything (libraries, templates, etc) that I want into an edition release and use InnoSetup to make my installation from that?

Or is that pretty much what happens within the Laz Team anyhow?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast