Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 PGD Annual Video Ad #1

Blog Entries

2007 PGD Annual Video Ad #1

I've posted the first Video Ad for the competition on YouTube. It includes footage from past entires including some of the top 3 from 2005 and 2006!

<center><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GlXgkUbrUnU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GlXgkUbrUnU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="442" height="350"></embed></object></center>

Mirrors:

YouTube 320x240
    Yahoo! Video 320x240
    Google Video 640x480
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Looks much better then when you showed it to me the other day. Love the sound track, just hope it isn't copywritten some place

Blog Entries

I've created a YouTube Channel for Pascal Game Development as well: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=PascalGameDev
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hey that's pretty sweet!

tbh though, I do think its at least 30 seconds too long. I had the feeling you wanted to show a little too much (can't blame you there ).

I believe the start was pretty good, after a short message, you jump right to the action. The transition to airblast looked a bit off however, with the main screen being aligned too far to the right. On the other hand, I got all excited again when the airfights came up.

I did not like transition to Tanx. It was too abrupt and I fear people might miss the mainscreen alltogether if they are not familiar with Tanx. However, the rest of the gameplay of tanx was pretty good, although I think its better to remove parts where ingame text is visible.
    Viewers familiar with Tanx might know what´s going, but I think others may find it a lot to consume.

The transition to ArticMacrob was again a bit too sudden. Although the fact that there´s relatively little action on screen, does give the viewer some time to realize what´s going on.
    After ArticMarob it was again a sudden switch, this time to Sodoma. It was at this point that I was kind of wondering if there was going to be some additional information. Something to add a bit of extra stimuli to the viewer to keep on viewing, other than the bits of gameplay videos.

Anyway, after having seen a few other games which some I think were better to be left out (Village Defense (mainscreen aligned to the right and poor quality video), Tankbusters (slow gameplay video), MadAeon (unreadable intro and slow gameplay video), space cadet (doesn´t fit in there alltogether)), the ending was well done, especially with the effect and all.
    Unfortunately while the mid section was rather lengthy, then ending was too short. I was actually expecting more information there. Something in the lines of an invitation to join this years competition, a conclusion to this video.

In all it was pretty good. IMO, main 'problems' are the transitions, where you dont allow the viewers some time to get used to a new game, the quantity of games, there are too many of them now, and the absence of information.

I do agree with jdarling about the music. I fits the video perfectly.

As a sidenote, having done a few video edit sessions myself, I know how difficult and timeconsuming it is. Having the proper software and tools does help, but still. Anyway my hat off to you for doing this.

it's great, but what about.. change the music? :/
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

What software did you use to record the games?? It looks very nice.

@Traveler, you and I said almost the exact same things. Of course, when I saw it there wasn't any music with it. I do have to admit that the one that WILL put up is much better then where he started, and overall, I think that it gets the point across quite well.

I also liked the movie, but I agree with traveler on the transitions. But it ROCKS!!!

I agree with music: It rocks, it fits in, it's action

however, I think is copyrighted: Piankiller soundtrack... (used it in SCAG)

ps. can I have the movie in .wmv or .avi (or whatever you saved it in) to save to my hard drive?
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

I used FRAPS for the video capture and recorded them all myself.

I see your guys point about the hard transitions from game to game. The biggest challenge I believe about this was getting good clips. It doesn't take too long to amass a 1 GB file recording with FRAPS [size=9px](even without the audio)[/size] so while trying to keep the clips short, I'm playing the game AND reaching for F9 to turn the recording on and off.

Another thing I guess is trying to cram so much into 2 minutes or so. I would have liked to get all the entries in, but it's just not possible. Besides this was just meant to be a quick and dirty colloge of action packed footage from both competitions.

The next commercial will have a lot more information. I'm planning on profiling all the winning entries and the prizes they won in sort of a News format. Should be kinda neat if it goes my way.

I've made a larger (clearer resolution) version of this video for download. But it, like a lot of online videos will be upwards of 10-14 MB.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Sweet! Nice work!

cheers,
    Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast