Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 PGD "Multiplexity" Game Programming Compo

2007 PGD "Multiplexity" Game Programming Compo

I am actually considering the Tetris platform game now, before anyone pinches the idea :lol: It should be really simple to define and relatively scope creep free

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Hi Guys,
    I hope this does not discourage too many people from submiting an entry.
    The amount of time it would take deters me, nothing else. That is the fault of my life situation at the present, so I don't blame PGD or anything. Quite honestly I was already doing preliminary research upon making a strategy/rpg game and had gotten so far as to decide upon an isometric perspective. But I don't know if I can work, study for college courses, program for the compo, and still keep my hobbies going.

It is what it is. Sic est vitae. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDOME
    Is a grand theft auto-like game a multiplexity? Like running around, racing around, flying around?

EDIT:

# Shooter

* First-Person Shooter (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Unreal)
    # Vehicular Combat (Spy Hunter, Wacky Wheels)
    So you can not put a first person shooter in combination with vehicles except when you are racing from point to point?
    Both First-Person Shooter and Vehicular Combat have the same color (red) so they are the same "genre", aren't they?
    No signature provided yet.

I'm in, I've got my design doc under way and I'm looking forward to completing my entry this year .

I brought this up last year, and I'll bring it up again; If I have what is requested in the Readme.txt file in the game itself, do I have to have the readme.txt file along with the game? IE: I have a help, storyline and controls menu items that clearly state what the controls are, show the storyline and basic help all in game. Do I still need the readme.txt file .

Also, Stages 3 and 4, Goal 1 doesn't make any sense. If you have a design doc, this should all be in it, not in the readme file. A readme file is for player information not design information. So, I'll ask; If I have it all in my design doc, do I have to put it into my readme.txt file?

Thanks for the clarifications,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez
    Both First-Person Shooter and Vehicular Combat have the same color (red) so they are the same "genre", aren't they?
    They are the same Genre Color, not necessarily the same genre. Since they together are only 1 color you will need a 2nd color to meet the minimum requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    If I have what is requested in the Readme.txt file in the game itself, do I have to have the readme.txt file along with the game?
    Yes. Judges don't like searching in all different places for what is meant to make their job easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    Also, Stages 3 and 4, Goal 1 doesn't make any sense. If you have a design doc, this should all be in it, not in the readme file. A readme file is for player information not design information. So, I'll ask; If I have it all in my design doc, do I have to put it into my readme.txt file?
    Yes. During your development we anticipate that a fair amount of games will have their original vision of concept change or even go a stray after a few months into development. Listen to any GDC Radio podcast or read any large software studio's postmortems and you'll see changes all along the way to the final product.

We expect some changes so we would like you to elaborate on how it comes together at that point. Any major changes, list them. Besides, it's a good, healthy game design & development practice.

The design concept you wrote in Stage 1 will be a pretext. The small blurb or so you will write in Stage 4 will be the result.

The Stage 2 & 3 goals where you add the genre and write about it is only to only tell the judges WHERE or how you put it in.

ie. If it's a game like Rescue Mission for the NES where you have to run all 3 snipers into possition before you play the sniper feature, they might think that that is the only thing to the game. And you don't receive any points for adding the genre when it was in fact in the game, just not overly obvious.

It's in the Readme.txt because the Judges are looking for a Readme.txt and the easier it is to find this stuff in that file... the more likely that they will grant you those points.

Quote Originally Posted by cairnswm
    One thing thats not clear to me is how the genres need to relate to one another. Should they both be active at the same time (like the suggested "Tetris based platform shooter ") or can they lead into one another such as having a Strategy map where you decide where to attack and then another screen where you control a fighter jet through a action shooter screen (ie two completely different screens).
    Any way you like. Just try to make the game fun and innovative.

We don't want to tell you how your games should be creatively. We just want to give you the task at hand and see how you put it together.

But if you need a concrete yay or nay... either sounds fine to me.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    The amount of time it would take deters me, nothing else. That is the fault of my life situation at the present, so I don't blame PGD or anything. Quite honestly I was already doing preliminary research upon making a strategy/rpg game and had gotten so far as to decide upon an isometric perspective. But I don't know if I can work, study for college courses, program for the compo, and still keep my hobbies going.
    Like I have said before this competition began, the theme allows for small games as much as it does bigger games.

If you are making an RPG of any kind... well, of course it's going to be a lot of work and will take a lot of time.

A strategy game is a fairly moderate task aswell.

If you wish to participate, but have a strain on time, why not choose a smaller genre combination for your game?

Puzzle / Maze, Educational / Platform, Artillery / Music, Party / Pinball, etc..
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Yes. During your development we anticipate that a fair amount of games will have their original vision of concept change or even go a stray after a few months into development. Listen to any GDC Radio podcast or read any large software studio's postmortems and you'll see changes all along the way to the final product.

We expect some changes so we would like you to elaborate on how it comes together at that point. Any major changes, list them. Besides, it's a good, healthy game design & development practice. Wink
    I agree WILL, but I don't believe it belongs in the Readme.txt file. The Design Document is a living breathing document that follows the life of your product (read my article). BTW: Just looked at all of the 360 and PC games that we work on, don't see a single readme.txt . Lots of design document versions though with track changes enabled and html files that contain version/change history (copied straight from the design document version history section).

In a production environment you may be right jdarling, but there are only three judges and each of us will have to check all entries, so having to browse and read through maybe pages long design documents to find out what genres are combined in what way would add even more workload for us. So quickly elaborating about the genres and how they are combined/accessible in a separate readme.txt will make our work easier.

Is it possible to get an explanation telling what exactly should be included in a Game Design Document?
    I haven't really written one those before ops:
    Perhaps that's the reason I haven't finished many of my games lately :think:
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Quote Originally Posted by cragwolf
    Multiple stages, deal-breaker for me, never liked them, but will not comment further on this issue.
    I know some people are turned off by multi-stages, but we are trying to encourage structured analysis/design and implementation.
    I will dispute with the bolded word, Savage. For the simple reason that requiring specific stages is not encouraging their use. You could have given a generic order like: 1) Write your design doc and submit it. 2) Create your design plan. And so on. The reason is that not all games fit into any one set plan and so are automatically penalized ... which I don't find very fair.

If I were to get my strategy/rpg going my first step, programmatically, would be to lay the groundwork for both genre elements at the exact same time! But I don't get credit for that. What use is rewriting the whole engine at stage 3 just to add an advanced veterancy system to my units including experience and such, when I can cut my work by half just by laying the groundwork at the very beginning.

I think you should really reconsider as some of us are penalized automatically by our genre picks, and so have a lesser chance to succeed from the get-go. Not a very fair set of rules IMHO. :evil:

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast