Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Multiplexity: Crashblock

Multiplexity: Crashblock

This is the first time I've entered a PGD compo, so go easy on me eh?..

The multiplexity idea is... challenging, I think most people can think of a game idea if it can be easily based on a standard genre.. it doesn't take a massive logical leap to come up with another Doom (although implementing the idea is another story). I think that my chosen idea is probably not the most imaginative, but it could be fun to play and I've not seen anything like it before, It seems like a good idea and won't be trivial to implement.. so Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you my idea for the 2007 Pascal Game Development competition.

Crash Block

(waits for the roars of applause from the amazing anti-climax to die down)

Basically, it's a cross between Flashback and Tetris. A player is trapped within a Tetris game and has to survive by playing the pieces. Only there's no simple control system. The player has to throw things at a crane holding the current tetris block to move it into place. Once in place, or once the chain snaps, the block crashes down until it hits the ground... or the player. Completing lines removes it from the play arena

The player has to scramble over the blocks to get to a good vantage point where they can control the crane better and avoid squishy death at the hands of the heavy blocks above.

I've put the details in the design doc which is sitting on my site at
    http://www.cerebral-bicycle.co.uk/pg...sign%20doc.doc

I've corrected the link in your post.

Make sure you don't use spaces in your filenames, they usually dont do well when used as links.

Blog Entries

Wow... *thinks of being trapped in a tetris game* :eh: ...nope can't be fun the the guy stuck in there.

Be great to see how this turns out though!

[size=9px]Don't forget to submit your entries through the competition system![/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Crunched by a tetris piece... A great nightmare :hellspawn:

I like the concept.
    No signature provided yet.

Thanks mate, Ideas like this happen if you eat too much cheese before bedtime.

I'm just hoping I can deliver

The idea sounds easy enough, but setting up the bluescreen to capture the required animations will be hard work.

I managed to get the basic framework up and running last night, what might be called the skeleton of the engine.. basically, a background screen and a menu. But I've not got anything to get excited about yet.

My wife's going to check with her Uni to see if they've got bluescreen capability. I hope they've got something I can use, I'd hate to have to manually alter each frame of animation to set the background colour.

We're also going to need at least 2 80cm x 80cm x 80cm cubes, also in blue. These will be the blocks she has to climb on.

I'm guessing at a push I could use something else.

Then there's the issue about how to control the Tetris block. In my design, I've said the player will fire/throw projectiles at the crane and blocks.. that might prove a little difficult for a child to do. So I may simplify the controls a bit.

Perhaps Space calls the crane to the current X-position and Enter rotates the block, backspace makes it fall. That would give an incentive to run around the tetris arena.

That would remove the need to fire or throw things, the player could just focus on running and jumping.

I'm really impressed with the speed that other contestants are getting their games up and running. This is the first week and we've already got some good stuff coming out. I'm really excited about this years competition.

I recall playing Blockout several years ago. It is sort of tetris but in a semi 3d environment. The controls were very easy and may be what you are looking for as well.

You can download it here if you would like to try it out yourself.

Blog Entries

A live action Mr. Farmer... can't wait! :twisted:

:lol:
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Actually, it'll be the lovely Mrs Farmer, and so far the idea is She'll be wearing her Motorcycle racing leathers as a costume.. I suggested French Maid outfit, but she wasn't having any of that

Oh dear, I'm falling behind I think. Real Lift (tm) is killing my dev time. Who'd have thought that purchasing a house would consume so much time, money and energy. After sorting numerous things out with the house move I find myself too knackered to do any work.

I have done some graphics though.. but I'm only inching ahead instead of the sprinting that I should be doing. At this rate, I'm going to need some serious crunch time to get into the project and make any progress.

For the 2nd deadline I'm hoping I'll have the tetris elements well in place and a playable tetris game - the mechanics of which will change as soon as I put the platform game element in.

It did give me an idea this morning though.. If I make the game playable in 2 modes...

Survival:
    character has to play the game and avoid squishy death.

Vindictive:
    player has to play the tetris game and attempt to squash the little character for bonus points.

If I can find an activity for the player while the tetris game is being played, like pulling or pushing blocks around, I could make a network game where 1 player plays the tetris game and the other plays the character. I can see that being a lot of fun.... This will only be put in if I suddenly find a whole bunch of time under a rock or something.

At the moment, I'm only planning to include the Survival mode.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast