Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Multiplexity: Crashblock

Multiplexity: Crashblock

I have a mac version all packaged up on my PC. I could host it.

The only issue which seemed to come out of the Macasization and Linuxing were Windows being a prat and making file extentions upper case.. when they appear lower case in Explorer.. Oh what a brilliant O/S :roll:

I'm currently working on fixing a few bugs and making the package size smaller.. 35mb is a bit steep I think.. If I can make it smaller, that'll make me happy. Although most of the space is taken up by music, Even when encoded in OGG Vorbis at it's lowest quality setting, the some of files are coming over at over 2mb. I'll fettle a bit more and see if I can reduce it further. Then I'll get Billy to do me a new Mac Package..

I've also made some of the background images into jpg format instead of png where there's no transparent colour being used.. this is saving some space too.

If I can get the whole thing down to belo2 20mb, I'll be a happy man.

I've already ogg'd the sound effects, which works very well and has saved a bit of space.

Jason, when you have a spare moment, could you post a screen shot and link to the dmg file in this thread - http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13138 for Pascal games on MacOS X.

Or let me know the details and I'll post there.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Yeah This is one I reason why I strongly believe in synthesing the music at runtime rather than at design time; with pre-rendered music you often get a combination of low quality, short music, few tracks. On other hand, hours long high fidelty 6.1 audio fits perfectly in a few mb if synthesized at runtime.

If the wav files are high quality 44100 16-bit files, convert them to ogg. Otherwise, convert them to 22150 Hz 4-bit ADPCM audio, for sound effects this is acceptable. For the ogg music, don't go below 128kbps, and use VBR encoding.

png files can be converted to 8-bit colour, while keeping transparency. Especially if they are small, this often gives very good results. Use a good colour quantization algorithm like Neuquant. Another solution is to split the transparency from the image, and encode it as a separate greyscale jpeg.

Well, I initially was going to use IT tracks which I wrote a while ago, but then I came accross the Symphonic Chronicles stuff and just HAD to use it as I thought it fit the game so well

I'll see what savings I can make then I'll upload a new version to the CBCO site.

As for the Mac version, I'll get on that as soon as I get home.

Sorry to dissappoint, I didn't get chance to upload the Mac or Linux versions last night.. but I did have a conversation with yet another charming BT call centre person.. who incidentally ran through exactly the same script as the previous calls... Quite what one has to do to get an engineer to work on the line after they've said, for the 4th time, "Oh, there appears to be a line fault sir".. I know there's a bleedin' line fault!.. get an engineer out to fix it!!!

So, I didn't uplaod the linux or mac versions... The good news is though that I managed to fix a couple of bugs which had been annoying me and reduce the file size from a 35mb download to a 25mb download. I could perhaps reduce it further.. but I'll have to see. I don't want to affect image or sound quality to make space savings..

The good news is that the Linux and Mac versions will reflect the bug fixes when they're uploaded.

Jason, what are you using to build your Mac version? I have been quite successful with Linux and Windows builds in Debian but have yet to figure out a way to do Mac builds.

Do you mean to create the dmg file or to compile the whole thing?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I'm using tha patent pending Billy1380

A friend of mine does the Mac builds for me using FreePascal. He has to do some funky voodoo to get it working though. It might be best to talk to him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    I'm using tha patent pending Billy1380

A friend of mine does the Mac builds for me using FreePascal. He has to do some funky voodoo to get it working though. It might be best to talk to him about it.
    There should not be any terribly funky voodoo required unless you are doing OS specific things in certain instances. When I ported stuff to MacOS X for Cardiff Uni last November, once things were set up it literally was a case of recompile and run with not code changes.

if on the other hand you are talking about creating the *.dmg packaage, well that is another matter, but I don't remember it being too difficult. Btw, is your friend using the instructions and MacOS X distro I put together or his own thing?

I think he was using his own instructions. The problem was to do with SDL I think. I can't say any more really as I'm out of my depth with Mac stuff, having never used one..

I do like the adverts onat the Cinema though :lol: Mac vs PC

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast