All things considered, it's fun spec'ing projects out, and it's another to actually research/architect them. At the moment, looking at this again, I'm considering that this isn't what I need; the nuance of scheduling lua scripts to run at any time I choose on my computer does not outweigh my need to get accustomed to the language. While I still like this idea, I've opted for a simpler start, since I'm not entirely sure how to pass more than 20 (the buffer length of Lua) results at once, or in a table. That's a bit overkill, but I don't want to tackle such problems when I am still super new to using the language myself.

So, instead, I'll just make a barebones FPC console application that has a "library" directory, a main script that acts as the actual program, and some various "library" extension objects to Lua. Not to mention that with very little work indeed, I can make a console roguelike with just a simple script -- a very simple one, but functional nonetheless.

PS: Jeremy, this is just where you'll have to let me "think myself out", as you caught me early in the brainstorm process and I was needing a bit of input.

Quick question on the topic of Lazarus/FPC, but does the DOS unit work in finding files cross-platform? I was wondering and looking, but I couldn't tell -- the remarks in the documentation mentioned that it was revised for cross-platform compatibility, but not what did work across them. If I am going to implement a "library" directory like I intend, I must be able to enumerate the files within it, so that's the main thing stopping me right now.