Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Getting started with LUA/pas2lua

Getting started with LUA/pas2lua

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfi
    {$mode delphi} // fixes this
    I had mode Delphi defined at the top of the unit. It didn't fix that.
    it has to be defined prior the "unit xyz" part.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Oh, I'd have to go back and double check that, thanks for the tip. Though that's the least of my problems currently; I'm having trouble passing a function as an argument (Pointer style) that is making the program choke.

Working with functions as parameters isn't near as easy as it sounds. You have to keep a reference to the function in the Lua Registry, and then you have to use that entry to actually call the function.

The following is a "simple" sample:[pascal]function lua_CallFunc(L : PLua_State) : Integer; cdecl;
    var
    n, callTimes, funcRef, c, pidx : Integer;
    pArray : array of variant;
    begin
    n := lua_gettop(L); // Get the number of items on the stack
    callTimes := lua_tointeger(L, 1); // Get the number of times to call the function
    if lua_type(L, 2)=LUA_TFUNCTION then // Make sure we have a function
    begin
    lua_pushvalue(L, 2); // Make a copy to push to the registry
    funcRef := luaL_ref(L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX); // push to the registry and get the reference
    try
    SetLength(pArray, n-3); // Get the params that we are passing
    for c := 3 to n do
    pArray[c-3] := luatovariant(L, c);
    for c := 1 to callTimes do
    begin
    lua_rawgeti(L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX, funcRef); // Place the reference on the stack
    for pidx := 0 to length(pArray)-1 do // place each param on the stack
    luapushvariant(L, pArray[pidx]);
    lua_call(L, length(pArray), LUA_MULRET); // Call the function
    end;
    finally
    luaL_unref(L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX, funcRef); // Release the reference to the function
    end;
    end;
    lua_CallFunc := 0;
    end;[/pascal]

The Lua "Prototype" for this would be:
    function CallFunc(NumTimes, FuncPointer, ...)

Of course, for speed, when using a known function you should cache the function registry reference for re-use. Then release it when you no longer need it.

Hope that helps some, just typed it in looking at some working code. But, there may be problems

Uh, no, check the previous page. I cannot even register the functions... :?

Okay, this is silly. I found that TLua doesn't contain "RegisterMethod" so I had to use "LuaRegister" instead, but now, after changing a few things for compatibility I now get this when running the executable file:
    Code:
    C:\FPC\projects\luaexec>luaexec
    An unhandled exception occurred at $1000C33A :
    EAccessViolation : Access violation
      $1000C33A
      $00407067
      $004070CE
      $004013D2
    I updated the Lazarus project though I am not using that directly, just using straight FPC instead. It might be my register function for the CRT "library" but I really don't know. You can get the whole project from here. What'd I do this time? :?

Also, I noticed numerous errors in my functions and the IFDEF clause the newer definition in the source is much better.

EDIT:

This is screwy. It's telling me that it doesn't want a pointer/address to the function, then I remove the @ symbol it immediately complains of too few arguments. What's going on!? This doesn't even raise an error in the LuaCRT unit, but in the main one it does. :?
    Also, I noticed that registering the CRT library functions caused that access violation; I don't know how, why, or how to fix it though.

Okay, I tried this, and it raises the error that it has insufficient arguments.

[pascal]procedure RegisterCRT(L: PLua_State);
    var
    idx : Integer;
    begin
    lua_pushliteral(L, 'crt');
    lua_newtable(L);
    idx := lua_gettop(L);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'KeyPressed', lua_KeyPressed, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'ReadKey', lua_ReadKey, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'GetXY', lua_GetXY, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'TextColor', lua_TextColor, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'BackgroundColor', lua_BackgroundColor, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'ClrScr', lua_ClrScr, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'ClrEol', lua_ClrEol, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'DelLine', lua_DelLine, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'GotoXY', lua_GotoXY, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'InsLine', lua_InsLine, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'Window', lua_Window, idx);
    // lua_settable(L,idx);
    lua_settable(L, LUA_GLOBALSINDEX);
    end;[/pascal]

But when I try this, it completely freaks out with the following error messages:[pascal]procedure RegisterCRT(L: PLua_State);
    var
    begin
    lua_newtable(L);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'KeyPressed', @lua_KeyPressed, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'ReadKey', @lua_ReadKey, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'GetXY', @lua_GetXY, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'TextColor', @lua_TextColor, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'BackgroundColor', @lua_BackgroundColor, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'ClrScr', @lua_ClrScr, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'ClrEol', @lua_ClrEol, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'DelLine', @lua_DelLine, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'GotoXY', @lua_GotoXY, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'InsLine', @lua_InsLine, idx);
    LuaRegisterCustom(L, 'Window', @lua_Window, idx);
    // lua_settable(L,idx);
    end;[/pascal]
    Code:
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;76,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;77,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;78,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;79,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;80,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;81,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;82,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;83,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;84,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;85,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;86,68&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 4&#58; Got "SmallInt", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;233&#41; Fatal&#58; There were 11 errors compiling module, stopping
    LuaCRT.pas&#40;5,50&#41; Fatal&#58; Compilation aborted
    Should I try "function as lua_CFunction" or "lua_CFunction(function)"? This is a bit crazy. I hope this doesn't occur very frequently when messing with Lua initially. :?

What is the declaration of LuaRegisterCustom()?

Lua.pas
    Code:
    type
      lua_CFunction = function&#40;L &#58; Plua_State&#41; &#58; Integer; cdecl;
    LuaRegisterCustom, LuaUtils.pas
    Code:
    procedure LuaRegisterCustom&#40;L&#58; PLua_State; TableIndex&#58; Integer; const Name&#58; PChar; F&#58; lua_CFunction&#41;;
    var
      Count&#58; Integer;
      S&#58; string;
    begin
      LuaProcessTableName&#40;L, Name, S, TableIndex, Count&#41;;
      LuaRawSetTableFunction&#40;L, TableIndex, S, F&#41;;
      lua_pop&#40;L, Count&#41;;
    end;
    All my functions are adhering to both call/definition correctly too. :? That's the strange part. I call the register function for the CRT functions I made, commenting out the search routine (I still cannot register it), and the instant they are registered (output isn't even started) that exception occurs and the application dies.

Robert, you don't want to use the register methods from LuaUtils. Instead look at the register methods in my LuaWrapper and LuaObjects units.

Post up a zip of your source files and I'll adjust it to work. Then you can compare the two and see what I'm talking about.

I updated the Lazarus project though I am not using that directly, just using straight FPC instead. It might be my register function for the CRT "library" but I really don't know. You can get the whole project from here. What'd I do this time? :?

Also, I noticed numerous errors in my functions and the IFDEF clause the newer definition in the source is much better.

EDIT:

This is screwy. It's telling me that it doesn't want a pointer/address to the function, then I remove the @ symbol it immediately complains of too few arguments. What's going on!? This doesn't even raise an error in the LuaCRT unit, but in the main one it does. :?
    Is there something wrong with those register methods? They were the only really simple way to register the functions to a table that I could find. The way you gave me before FPC couldn't find the needed function. :?

EDIT: You mean to try the RegisterMethod from LuaObject.pas? So, I should just use that instead I guess. Though, I honestly don't understand the duplicity and frequency of so many functions to try and do that same thing.

EDIT2: As in something like this to register my functions?[pascal]procedure RegisterCRT(L: PLua_State);
    var
    begin
    lua_newtable(L);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'KeyPressed', @lua_KeyPressed, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'ReadKey', @lua_ReadKey, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'GetXY', @lua_GetXY, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'TextColor', @lua_TextColor, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'BackgroundColor', @lua_BackgroundColor, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'ClrScr', @lua_ClrScr, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'ClrEol', @lua_ClrEol, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'DelLine', @lua_DelLine, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'GotoXY', @lua_GotoXY, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'InsLine', @lua_InsLine, idx);
    RegisterMethod(L, 'Window', @lua_Window, idx);
    // lua_settable(L,idx);
    end;[/pascal]Attempting that immediately gave me this when attempting to compile:
    Code:
    LuaObject.pas&#40;462,49&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;463,55&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;464,46&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;465,43&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;466,46&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;467,43&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;484,49&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;485,55&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;487,43&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;488,46&#41; Error&#58; Incompatible type for arg no. 3&#58; Got "<address>", expected "<procedure>"
    LuaObject.pas&#40;516&#41; Fatal&#58; There were 10 errors compiling module, stopping
    LuaObject.pas&#40;4,50&#41; Fatal&#58; Compilation aborted
    Ick; at the moment I'm reconsidering trying to learn Lua using FPC. FPC just isn't very friendly to me no matter what I do, whenever I try.

I just noticed something, but Jeremy, why are you pushing a procedure like a pointer, when you aren't using the right type? If you adjust your types to include a lua_PCFunction (in Lua.pas) like so:[pascal]type
    lua_CFunction = function(L : Plua_State) : Integer; cdecl;
    lua_PCFunction = ^lua_CFunction;[/pascal]And then change your RegisterMethod and lua_pushcfunction to use the lua_PCFunction type it seems to work. You're treating the function like a pointer and FPC is choking all over itself on this. Either it says "I don't want an address!" or when you pass a function "where are the variables for the function?" and so it doesn't work either way in its present implementation.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast