I know that there is a possibility of using sdl with opengl, but as far as i'm concerned you have to abbandon sdl's surface managing (video) functions. Thus, the question is, does any 3d model animation engine exists that is compatible with jedi-sdl and freepascal? By compatibility, I mean stable surface mixing or drawing on pSDLsurfaces etc.

I'm asking, because I need both sdl 2d api and some 3d api (models) for my project. Since I have some serious artists in my family, I came up with an idea of mixing prerendered, maybe hand painted 2d backgrounds with 3d models. For me it sounds perfect for an oldstyled action adventure game. The point is that models have to fit to background (cell shading?). Ecstatica 2 by Psygnosis looks just awesome, I'd like to do get similar effects (screenshots here: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/ec...om_clk=gsimage)

I belive that everything could be accuired with OpenGL, but still I'd rather use plain JediSDL. So is something what you see at screenshots above is doable with sdl?