Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From scratch or component based?

From scratch or component based?

Just wondering how many people prefer to work up their games from scratch ( like this) or let Delphi do a majority of the work for them. Where would you draw the line if you had too? Personally if the game doesn't need too much in the way of "windowed" interfaces (i.e. menus, forms, etc.) or a lot of extras, I prefer to do it from scratch. However I know for a fact I can create a game 10x faster using what Delphi has to offer as well as prebuilt components (not just units), which is a big plus even if it means a slightly larger executable.
    My DGDev forum pascal syntax highlight settings:
    <br />[background=#FFFFFF][comment=#8080FF][normal=#000080]
    <br />[number=#C00000][reserved=#000000][string=#00C000]

Depending on your ability, I'd say first time making a game in Delphi, you'll want as much of the work off your shoulders as possible, as for making a line, let something else do it When you finish the project, you *should* be in a programmer frame of mind, which is, explore, rip the code to shreds, figure out what it does and why it does it, you'll learn more and gain confidence by having your first working game(which believe me, not many people do )

Hi

Hi, I would go with components because it save's you alot of time and effort. Especially if you want to create the same effect, 10 times, it would be easer to just make a component that would do it for you so the next time you need it you dont have to do as much work. Also it would make the process a heck of alot easier
    Bobby Baker
    <br />Delphi Sanctuary
    <br />www.delphisanctuary.com

Components!

Definitely have to be with components for me right now...

I'm just migrating to Delphi from C and I'm finding prototyping so much quicker and easier - even just testing out vague ideas becomes a piece of cake.

I'll play around and learn how to do it from scratch in Delphi, but I'll always approach the problem with a component based frame of mind (even if I have to write my own components!)

Neil

I do it the hard way without components. However, I'm slowly building up a non-visual, non-VCL library of classes to use. This makes the process a bit easier. I do it the hard way simply due to size - my old web site had a small max limit, so everything I do I have to keep small! There's a big difference there between uploading a 200K file and a 17K file for programs .
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle

I would usually use components, 'cos otherwise you can't use the DelphiX and PowerDraw libraries (which are mainly component based). Having Said that, I am starting to move away from that and have developed a few non-component-based libraries for things such as DirectInput.
    [size=10px][ Join us in #pgd on irc.freenode.net ] [ Sign the Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe ][/size]

I will start with components basically to get something up and running.

When it's in the shape I want, I will optimize it, remove the unwanted libraries and work on the slow bits, using assembler where necessary.

Some bits, like Delphix's DXDraw and DXTimer, will be left alone. Could use another fast timer, but probably won't improve anything by doing so.

As I write, I tend to have the next time in mind, so everything is designed for adding to a code library. This does lead to unoptimised, but reuasable code. When it works, it goes into the library, then optimisation is done in the application.
    Stevie
    <br />
    <br />Don't follow me..... I'm lost.

iLLUNis

I ll go with the lot and say that i am using mainly components for a game creation and not only....or at least create my own... :!:

From the scratch and non VCL are different things.

But to answer your question. I dropped VCL long ago, when it comes to use DirectX.

On a side note : Using a Timer for a game is even worse than using the OnIdle event. All you need is a message loop.

Can you explain to me how to write a message loop and why the OnIdle event is that bad I always use the OnIdle event, because I always thought that was the best thing to use
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast