Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: files2pas data 'resource' creator

hmm...I might try upgrading it to make a version that can create Oxygene for Java 'pascal' output too

Hi Paul, does this tool still work as described in the first post? Very useful tool it seems ... Maybe I can use this with my interpreter?
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

thank you Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    Hi Paul, does this tool still work as described in the first post? Very useful tool it seems ... Maybe I can use this with my interpreter?
    Hi Cybermonkey, it still works as described in post #11
    Fee free to use it as you will, just don't say that you wrote it

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    thank you Paul.
    You're welcome mate

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Paul, this is actually genius! yes resources can be included in an executable in other ways, but this is a very versatile method that allows for fine grain control of platform specific data with {$IFDEF} etc. Platform situations where you have no file system or hiding your executables resources from conventional eyes spring to mind.

An idea (if you've not already thought of it) :

For each file that is generated you could create an initialization section in which the data pointer/name etc is added to the global list/accessor.

The tool could also generate a 'files.inc' file that contained the main unit and any number of files :

VirtualFileSystem, {contains global instance of a list of data pointers}
    image1_bmp, sound_wav, music_mp3

then to make use of it in a project, all the user needs do is :

uses
    {$i files.inc};

So then no changes are needed to program code when your tool added new files (updating the .inc) and they would be automatically registered in a global list, accessible at run time.
    Last edited by phibermon; 13-09-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

The idea of putting binary data into source code is well-known and widely used. For instance, Asphyre uses DirectX 10, DirectX 11 and GLSL shader binaries/source code embedded in the source code very similarly to this tool, except that in some cases the data is also compressed to reduce resulting source code size. Also, if you look at Delphi XE 2 source code included with installation, you'll see that they're putting some shaders in similar fashion.

By the way, why are you putting $mode delphi command in the generated source files? They don't seem to need it.

Also, I'd suggest updating the links in the very first post as they are broken and you have to read through 3-page thread to find updated link. Why not adding the file as a forum attachment in the first post?

...and keep up great work! Any chance to see GUI-based version of this tool?
    Last edited by LP; 13-09-2012 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    The idea of putting binary data into source code is well-known and widely used. For instance, Asphyre uses DirectX 10, DirectX 11 and GLSL shader binaries/source code embedded in the source code very similarly to this tool, except that in some cases the data is also compressed to reduce resulting source code size. Also, if you look at Delphi XE 2 source code included with installation, you'll see that they're putting some shaders in similar fashion.
    My tool also compresses files too if you hadn't noticed

By the way, why are you putting $mode delphi command in the generated source files? They don't seem to need it.
    I just wanted to be safe since the code works with Delphi and freepascal...I always work with Delphi mode code

Also, I'd suggest updating the links in the very first post as they are broken and you have to read through 3-page thread to find updated link. Why not adding the file as a forum attachment in the first post?
    Good idea, I will update them right away!

...and keep up great work! Any chance to see GUI-based version of this tool?
    Thanks mate! hmm...a GUI is a nice idea, I will think on it...
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 14-09-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Broken QUOTE

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Any chance to see GUI-based version of this tool?
    Thanks mate! hmm...a GUI is a nice idea, I will think on it...
    I like a front-end program that uses the console program. Much like Lazarus itself.
    No signature provided yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123